Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Crossfire problem

Rookie Vette owner

Corvette
1973 Blue Coupe
When I start up (cold) the RPM goes up to around 1800. when I start out she will shut down about a minute into the run. When I stop and restart she will do fine from then on! Is this part of the ECM just crossing over to normal run operation from the startup program?? :confused

Thanks

As far as the rough idle or high idle when cold, have you changed your cooland temp. sensor? It fixed my problems when mine was idling high and felt like it was missing on 2 or more cylinders..
Just my idea??

That will be put on my to do list, I'm hoping to find a local vette mechanic that can check out and adjust my idle/throttle bodies. Not sure how long it has been since she has been tuned up and I've only had her for a couple of months. Ran the diagnostic on her again today and still getting the 13 fault code even though I have replaced the O2 sensor (and reset the computer).

Thanks, again!

Tom

If your throttle bodies have never been touched don't start now. Its a band aid solution to something else. See if the caps on the rear of the TBI's and the weld is on the idle screw on the linkage.

You have another problem but you need to be more specific in what its doing.

Jim

First off I'd say either the 02 senser or the EGR value.

Check the wiring on both O2 sensor leading back to the harness and on the wiring leading to EGR solenold mounted on the manifold.

I have had problem of wiring getting brittle or slight burned from engine heat with age.

Agree with Jim's post, if the throttles are fine, just look at them but don't touch! :)

I recently purchased a spare complete TBI & intake setup off Ebay. Plans to rebuild them for better performance down the road rather than fiddle with my original stock setup.

Cheer!
-Moo

First off I'd say either the 02 senser or the EGR value.

Check the wiring on both O2 sensor leading back to the harness and on the wiring leading to EGR solenold mounted on the manifold.

I have had problem of wiring getting brittle or slight burned from engine heat with age.

Agree with Jim's post, if the throttles are fine, just look at them but don't touch! :)

I recently purchased a spare complete TBI & intake setup off Ebay. Plans to rebuild them for better performance down the road rather than fiddle with my original stock setup.

Cheer!
-Moo

It sounds like your 'Idle control motors' need to be removed and cleaned and reset. Plus it sound like the ECM isn't getting the right signal from the O2 sensor and or the temperture sensor is not reading correctly. When I start my 84, it idles at around 900 RPM for the first five minutes or so, then once warmed it drops to 600 RPM

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom