Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Curve n Bump

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
When I go thought a curve while driving and go over rough road or a bump, the vette jumps. What's up with that? Is it normal? Is something wrong with the suspension?

Doesn't sound normal to me.

When I go thought a curve while driving and go over rough road or a bump, the vette jumps. What's up with that? Is it normal? Is something wrong with the suspension?

When I visit my son in East Rockaway, riding the Southern State or Hempstead TPK makes any car jump, scream, whine..:L:L

When I visit my son in East Rockaway, riding the Southern State or Hempstead TPK makes any car jump, scream, whine..:L:L

Yep, yep and yep. Always when I am on the SS pkwy! Or any other road here on Long
island! The roads here SUCK! But I will bring it to my mechanic any way. I have to change a TPS.
Tx
Paul

Bump Steer

I am little late to the party but what you experience sounds like a condition called "bump steer". When the suspension is loaded up from the corner and then add the rough road and the car will get a little squirrly. I am not an engineer but as I understand it the geometry of the suspension makes this a problem in a lot of vehicles. There are some tie rod ends that can help get rid of some of the problem.

When you say 'bump' what do you mean? You feel the front suspension kind-of bottom out on you? Or the car 'hops' like tires are losing contact with the road?

If the former, check your sway bar links. One was broken and the other failing on my '98 coupe, and before they were discovered and repaired, mine would 'bottom out' going around turns and occasionally over bumps. I could feel and hear a distinct 'thump' whenever it happened too.

When you say 'bump' what do you mean? You feel the front suspension kind-of bottom out on you? Or the car 'hops' like tires are losing contact with the road?

If the former, check your sway bar links. One was broken and the other failing on my '98 coupe, and before they were discovered and repaired, mine would 'bottom out' going around turns and occasionally over bumps. I could feel and hear a distinct 'thump' whenever it happened too.

When I go over a rough patch of road while in a curve the vette jumps over a little. Almost like it loses traction. BTW it doesn't bottom out at all.

I am little late to the party but what you experience sounds like a condition called "bump steer". When the suspension is loaded up from the corner and then add the rough road and the car will get a little squirrly. I am not an engineer but as I understand it the geometry of the suspension makes this a problem in a lot of vehicles. There are some tie rod ends that can help get rid of some of the problem.

Thanks. I will look into that. Let you know.

back tires "hop" over bumps

If the latter, check your rear shocks. Mine needed to be replaced. After getting new shocks, no more "hopping".

When I go over a rough patch of road while in a curve the vette jumps over a little. Almost like it loses traction. BTW it doesn't bottom out at all.
I have a curve like that near my house. There are actually two bumps in the apex. I believe it is due to a combination of the runflat tires and the transverse mounted leaf springs. BF Goodrich non-runflats and Pfadt coilovers completely solved the problem for me.

If the latter, check your rear shocks. Mine needed to be replaced. After getting new shocks, no more "hopping".

Yes it hops. I have new Michelin run flats on them. Have to check the shocks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom