Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

D Day For New Exhausts

• Thread starter LouBelleraVideo
  • Start date
L

LouBelleraVideo

Hi Guys! Tomorrow morning I will be installing the new exhaust system on my 88 Callaway twin turbo I am replacing the stock mufflers with Dynomax high polished stainless steel ultra flows and replacing the main cat with a Dynomax free flow.If we see any pre cats then I'm going to take those out and replace with straight pipes.The horspower should top out at least 405 or better. My main concern is the sound of the sytem. I'll let you know!
Lou

dyno time

You ought to run it on a dyno before and after :D
what do you think?
*89x2*

main reason

The main reason I wanted to change the exhaust is that even though the car has only 9,800 mile the each muffler has a tiny bit of rust on it and I wanted to repace them with a high polished stainless steel muffler that not only looked good but sounded great. By replacing the cat with a free flow and getting rid of the pre cats I know that the horsepower will increase but that is really icing on the cake. The look and sound is what I'm after.
Lou

megaphones

IF they were available I would think they would be quite loud, however I called Callaway and they are no longer available to purchase.
Lou

Actually the turbos will keep it pretty quiet Lou. One of the sweetest sounding cars Ive ever heard was a Callaway TT and it had either Borlas/Flowmasters....I can't remember.

So are owners installing all these mufflers I keep reading about? I thought all TTs came stock with no mufflers.

I like the stainless steel Magnaflows that I have on mine. I wouldn't exactly say the turbos keep it quiet though! It's fairly loud. Although probably a little quieter than a NA car.

I'm not aware of any TT's coming stock with no mufflers. I don't think they would pass Federal requirements. My understanding is that they got free flowing mufflers installed at the factory when a B2K order was specified. The only one I'm unsure of is the '88 that came with the illegal Callaway exhaust. All others should have had mufflers. I just pulled the originals off my car last fall.

Kev, does the car have resonance when the hardtop is on?

SurfnSun said:
Kev, does the car have resonance when the hardtop is on?

I will let you know... The car has been in storage at the shop that did the hardtop for me since November. I'm picking it up this Saturday! :_rock

No resonance at all without the hardtop...

Awesome!!! We need some vids of that car running at full boost :D

90Callaway said:
I'm not aware of any TT's coming stock with no mufflers. I don't think they would pass Federal requirements. My understanding is that they got free flowing mufflers installed at the factory when a B2K order was specified. The only one I'm unsure of is the '88 that came with the illegal Callaway exhaust. All others should have had mufflers. I just pulled the originals off my car last fall.

The 87 TT's had "megaphones" instead of mufflers and they were appx. 24" long and had the same tip shape as the latter cars did. not sure about the 88 recall exhaust and what that had consisted of but I have seen quite a few 87's w/ Meg's.
FWIW, my 89 has its original exh and it does have 2 "free flow" mufflers stock (4 functioning tips) and a nice polished band around them to make an oval.
*89x2*

*89x2* said:

The 87 TT's had "megaphones" instead of mufflers and they were appx. 24" long and had the same tip shape as the latter cars did. not sure about the 88 recall exhaust and what that had consisted of but I have seen quite a few 87's w/ Meg's.
FWIW, my 89 has its original exh and it does have 2 "free flow" mufflers stock (4 functioning tips) and a nice polished band around them to make an oval.
*89x2*

Yep...the Nov '86 C&D article on the '87 Callaway says:
"The exhaust turbines, working in tandem with three catalytic converters, do such a fine job of extracting energy from the exhaust stream that no mufflers whatsoever are necessary. The motor music that rolls out of the wide-mouthed megaphones is pure auto-aphrodisiac: young women swoon at the sound, and young men make irrational appointments with their loan officers."

The only thing I disagree with is that it's irrational to make the appt with the loan officer...

Anyway...I figured since the '87 didn't come with mufflers none of the others did either. I know they removed the precats in later model vettes so perhaps Callaway started leaving the mufflers on or added their own in later years.

Interesting... I learn new things all the time! I did not know about the '87s not having mufflers. I'm surprised the government let that one go through. Do you have a picture of those "megaphones"?

90Callaway said:
Interesting... I learn new things all the time! I did not know about the '87s not having mufflers. I'm surprised the government let that one go through. Do you have a picture of those "megaphones"?

I don't have pics of them however, I will be sure to point them out at the Callaway Reunion.
Mufflers began in 1988 :( I will say, If you never heard a B2K w/ Meg's... you do NOT know what you are missing!!! It is BADDDD!
I was thinking about having a set reproduced as I understand Callaway no longer stocks them...
***TAC-your's has megs???
Later *89x2*

My '87 has the Megaphones on it. It does sound awesome. Truly unique and powerful sounding in a totally different fashion from the Borla/Flow stereotypical exhaust note.

I have two pre-cats and when it comes into one single pipe aft of the trans... there is a straight pipe there. No cat. I asked the original owner if he had the cat removed and he said "no". The funny thing is, that 18" or so piece of pipe is a different metal than the rest of the exhaust.

Did Callaway do this as a part of the emissions "illegal" package or did someone purposefully make it fall off or am I just asking about nothing?

Yes, I have the megaphones. I will post photos tonight. I don't think they give it a completely unique sound because I heard Turbocat's car last year and despite all the engine and exhaust mods he has done his car has the same basic "tone" as mine...albeit a little louder. It was nice to finally hear another car that has the same basic sound.

EricVonHa said:
My '87 has the Megaphones on it. It does sound awesome. Truly unique and powerful sounding in a totally different fashion from the Borla/Flow stereotypical exhaust note.

I have two pre-cats and when it comes into one single pipe aft of the trans... there is a straight pipe there. No cat. I asked the original owner if he had the cat removed and he said "no". The funny thing is, that 18" or so piece of pipe is a different metal than the rest of the exhaust.

Did Callaway do this as a part of the emissions "illegal" package or did someone purposefully make it fall off or am I just asking about nothing?

My guess is the cat was removed. The '87 came with 2 precats as you mention going into one main cat.

90Callaway said:

Here are some pics.

http://communities.msn.com/CoxvilleUSA/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=144

http://communities.msn.com/CoxvilleUSA/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=145

http://communities.msn.com/CoxvilleUSA/photoalbum1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=146

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom