Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dash and Door Panels

Victory Red C6

Corvette
2007 Victory Red Coupe
Just wondering if there are any other C6 owners experiencing the same issue that I am having with the dash and the door panels developing a light grayish/white coating over time. I am getting ready to park the car for the winter, but buy the time that spring rolls around there will be this grayish/white film on the dash and door panels. It wipes of esaily with water. This has occured the past couple of years and even during the warm summer months. The car is stored indoors there is no direct sunlight on the car when garaged (summer and winter). The car is not an everyday driver (approx 2,200 miles this past summer). I have never used an UV protecter or interior cleaning products. This past spring I used distilled water (to avoid any minerals that may be in well water) and a very small amount of simple green. In the winter the car is stored at 40 degrees F and the summer there is dehumidifier running in the garage.

I have the same issue. Its not bad but you can see it. Mine has always been parked inside also.

Below is the actual reply that I received from the Bowling Green Assembly Customer Care. I am going to give it a try.

Dear Mr. Beranek,

We have heard of this and after some research, it appears to be the natural salts coming out of the leather/vinyl materials. Using the distilled water is fine but may I suggest Murphy's Oil Soap as the cleaning agent. It has just enough moisturizers but it cleans the residue off as well. You should never use any tap or chlorinated water as this could increase the undesired effect. They also noticed when trying to root cause this concern that vehicles stored near pools or hot tubes really showed the film.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Lynn Herron
Customer Contact Manager

This condition exists on my 2007 C6 that has a titanium interior, is always garaged, and rarely out in the sun.

I tried two Meguiar's products designed to clean the interior but neither removed the white-ish appearance. One of their products left a small amount of shine that became distorted where it was touched repeatedly such as portions of the door panels where my arm rested and hands touched. Their other product left no shine. Neither product removed the white appearance.

I found the best solution for me when I tried to remove the varying shine left by one of the Meguiar's products.

My solution is to use a microfiber towel with a small amount of Stoner's window cleaner and rub in long, heavy, sweeping motions. This removes the white-ish appearance and leaves the dash and door panels looking almost new.

if possable leave the windows open a small amount when you park the car

if possable leave the windows open a small amount when you park the car

What does leaving the windows cracked open do to keep the white-ish film from appearing?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom