Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dash lights don't come on at night when headlights turned on

jss101

Corvette
2014 Z51
On a 2002-
I have the "twilight sentinel" feature set to "off".
At night, when I turn on the headlights, the dash goes dark. If I cycle the headlight switch once or twice, they come on.
Seems to only happen when I first start the car.

If I turn twilight sentinel on - it seems to work just fine. I just like to decide for myself when to turn the lights on!

Any ideas? I've searched this forum and have found a few threads but nothing quite like this.
Thanks all.

There's a small knob on the left side of the dash that controls the dash light brightness. Have you tried fooling with it? Although your description of the problem makes me think that this is not your issue, it's worth a look considering the cold soldering issues that this car has concerning some circuit boards.

check to see if rear running lights are out also. you may need a new multi switch, that's one that controls headlights,cruise,turn signals.i had a similar issue and that was the fix.

check to see if rear running lights are out also. you may need a new multi switch, that's one that controls headlights,cruise,turn signals.i had a similar issue and that was the fix.

That will be the last thing to think about replacing as that is a bit of an undertaking. Something as simple as a fuse could be an issue so you want to hit the easy stuff first. The OP must not be too worried about it given he hasn't responded in over a week.

There's a small knob on the left side of the dash that controls the dash light brightness. Have you tried fooling with it? Although your description of the problem makes me think that this is not your issue, it's worth a look considering the cold soldering issues that this car has concerning some circuit boards.

Yep. Tried that first. The brightness knob seems to work fine. When the lights are out fiddling with it has no effect. When they're on it does what it should.

Thanks.

Headlights seem to always work. I haven't been able to check the taillights or other lights, for a funny reason. When I get the "bad" condition to happen, just putting the parking brake on to get out of the car makes all of the lights work normally again! Huh? Very weird. I can't tell if it's something loose, or if it's a computer type thing.

:ugh

Last edited:
That will be the last thing to think about replacing as that is a bit of an undertaking. Something as simple as a fuse could be an issue so you want to hit the easy stuff first. The OP must not be too worried about it given he hasn't responded in over a week.

Sorry, I was travelling on business and so it wasn't on my radar for a week. I haven't checked the fuses yet. That's a good next step, although from the behavior I kinda doubt it. It seems more like a computer logic problem. It seems that if I do something else electrical it starts to work. Like touch the brakes, or pull the parking brake, or cycle the headlights. Once it works it seems to work for the duration of the time the car is running. I would think if it were a bad fuse they might flicker when driving.

I understand why you think that but check MiniFuse #29 in the passenger's side floorboard fuse panel first.

I checked the fuse and it seemed ok, so I brought it to the (*gasp*) dealer. They claim it's the headlight switch itself, on the steering column. They ordered the part and will replace it tomorrow.

We'll see! Hope they got it.

I checked the fuse and it seemed ok, so I brought it to the (*gasp*) dealer. They claim it's the headlight switch itself, on the steering column. They ordered the part and will replace it tomorrow.

We'll see! Hope they got it.

Well, that part often gets misdiagnosed. So much to the point that I have an extra one to test with. Is that a repair that you would have felt comfortable doing? I did mine and although you have to take a few things loose, I don't think that it's too bad. Depends on how handy you are with a toolbox.

turn_sig_replace2.jpg

Just to confirm, your problem sure seems like the Multifunction Switch based on your description. The Twilight Sentinel BYPASSES the need to activate the Multifunction Switch to turn the lights (low beam) on and the IPC. Power still goes thru 2 specific Multifunction Switch contacts so the contacts normally used to activate the lights are bad. There are some links on how to try and repair/clean/adjust the switch contacts. New switches are now about $200 so repair is an option that does not cost anything. If you want to see the schematic for this I can scan and post. Let me know if I can be of any other help. Mr. Sam (Long time helping on the Corvette Forum, new here based on Bill Curlee site recommendation)

Here is link to one good thread for repair:

Headlight Switch / Blinker Arm Removal: A How-To - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
According to the OP, he had the multifunction switch replaced by the dealer. He hasn't reported back as to whether or not that has fix the issue. As for the multifunction switch, you can get a genuine AC Delco replacement part for a lot less than $200 from Rock Auto. That's where I bought mine from.

According to the OP, he had the multifunction switch replaced by the dealer. He hasn't reported back as to whether or not that has fix the issue. As for the multifunction switch, you can get a genuine AC Delco replacement part for a lot less than $200 from Rock Auto. That's where I bought mine from.

I love Rock Auto. When Sam (Dadaroo) and I figured out my BCM was bad, they had one for 170. Actually, my friend walked into an auto parts store here and got it for $170 locally right off the shelf when the Stealer would have hit me for $800 plus. Rock on. Bill Curlee and Sam teamed up to help me. They know their stuff, and are very systematic and thorough in their approach. Great guys.

I am new here at Sam's suggestion , and think I will enjoy the site as I have others.

Dave Shiel

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom