Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Dash lights will not turn off

R

Robert G

1981 L81 corvette. Dash lights will not turn off. I have pulled the light switch. Lights still stay on . The plug that goes to the switch has continuity between all lugs when unplugged. The,, I would guess light busser shounds untill I turn the key to the on position,Then it goes off. I pulled the 7.5 fuse for dash lights and the lights still stay on. When the socket is plugged into the switch it will not dim the light, The headlights work,, go up and down and dim and brighten. Anyone have an idea what to do next. when the dash clusters are unplugged the light is still on on the windshield switch.I am lost now. Sound like a short,but where in the system. This is a untouched car except for the smog being taken off. The white tach wire had no contact soi put a new wire in and tied it into the pluggin tach wire.The wire is broke some where.I do not see it as a problem but may be wrong..........Thanks for any help.. Robert G

You definitely have a bad wire somewhere.....the dash lites are supposed to go on and off with the headlite switch...find the wire that will get the dash lites to out and trace it back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You could also start pulling fuses to see which one it got fed into....
Tedious I know but.....

You definitely have a bad wire somewhere.....the dash lites are supposed to go on and off with the headlite switch...find the wire that will get the dash lites to out and trace it back.

Thanks, . The fuses are like going to the dentist , as a matter i would rather go to the dentist then mess with the fuse box. Guess This old man will give it a shot. ^3 and still getting under the dash. Have a nice day, heck have a nice week. Robert G

BTW Welcome to CAC!!
enjoy!!!

BTW Welcome to CAC!!
enjoy!!!
Thanks, After thinking about the dash lights for a while I remembered that when I installed the glove box there was a plug that I did not remember unhooking. Short story,,, The center cluster light on the top // I hooked the wire that went to it to a wire plug where the glove box is. Have no idea what the glove box wire goes to but when I unpluged it and hooked it to the to cluster top light everything is back to normal.My mistake and 2 days of checking. My fault ,,and I gave myself a swift kick. Thanks for your input,,,Robert G

Electrical problems can be gremlins to say the least.....:ugh:ugh
glad you found it!!!!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom