Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dash Removal Procedure 1987 Corvette Coupe

kirkeric

Corvette
1987 Champagne Color Coupe
Hello,

I am considering replacing the AC Evaporator Core myself since the part is only a couple hundred bucks but the shop wants $1400. Since I'm pretty handy, I think I can do this but it would be helpful if someone had the procedure for removing the dash, since it (evaporator) is supposedly back behind the dash.

Appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,
Eric

Replacing AC Evaporator 1987 Coupe

I failed to say that I went ahead and forked over the cost of the dianostics test and they found that the evaporator is bad, or so they say.

I'm not convinced since it does blow air now that i repaired a wiring problem and got the compressor to kick in.

it just blows very low, even on high. Appreciate your help.

Eric

Hmmm. Last week you were going to change the compressor, now the evaporator. What's up?
Ken

it just blows very low, even on high. Appreciate your help.

Eric

I'm assuming you don't have the electronic climate control.

When you change the fan speed switch between settings, can you hear the fan change speeds? Does it behave the same way in both heat and AC modes?

I do not believe I have climate control.

I can hear the change in fan speeds yes. I briefly changed to heat and to be honest, i need to recheck if that is the same. If they are the same or if the heat fan goes faster, is that a symptom?

Thanks,
Eric

I'm assuming you don't have the electronic climate control.

When you change the fan speed switch between settings, can you hear the fan change speeds? Does it behave the same way in both heat and AC modes?

I think there is a resister assembly that is used to vary the fan speed. (I can't swear that the Corvette uses this method, but I've replaced it in other GM cars.) If the fan speed doesn't increase each time the switch is incremented, that is likely the problem. If the fan speed increases but the air flow doesn't, then it's an airflow problem.

Ok, sounds like we are making progress here then. So, by your account, if the fan speed does increase (which it does, just barely), then I have an airflow problem. Could this be due to an old blower? maybe clogged?

What would contribute to an airflow problem? And just so I understand, is it even possible for an evaporator core to cause this symptom?

Also, to answer an earlier question, when I change to heat, there is no increase in fan speed.

Eric

I think there is a resister assembly that is used to vary the fan speed. (I can't swear that the Corvette uses this method, but I've replaced it in other GM cars.) If the fan speed doesn't increase each time the switch is incremented, that is likely the problem. If the fan speed increases but the air flow doesn't, then it's an airflow problem.

Ok, we're reaching the end of my knowledge on this subject. I thought one of the "experts" would have dropped in by now. Do the dampers work? In other words; in defrost mode, air goes to the windshield; in heat mode, air goes to the floor and in AC or vent, air comes out the dash outlets.

1987 Coupe AC Problems

Jester,
I thought by now I would have heard more too. I am thinking it is because my subject line (which I don't know how to change) does not contain anything about AC problems.

All the dampers work. Air shifts appropriately, etc. The ONLY thing that seems to be a problem is that the fan does not have enough power. I am beginning to think this is just a blower fan but I will still likely have to take the dash out. I am not sure exactly where it is located.

Eric

Ok, we're reaching the end of my knowledge on this subject. I thought one of the "experts" would have dropped in by now. Do the dampers work? In other words; in defrost mode, air goes to the windshield; in heat mode, air goes to the floor and in AC or vent, air comes out the dash outlets.

You may be right about the subject line not getting the right people looking. I would just start a new thread with a different subject line.
I see you already did that.

Good luck.

John

John,

I did just that and referenced you in it. I appreciate your help.

It is title "AC Problems 1987 Coupe", or close to that.

Eric

You may be right about the subject line not getting the right people looking. I would just start a new thread with a different subject line.

Good luck.

John

Im confused. Does the system blow any cold air? From what I have read it seems not a cooling problem but a problem in the blower contol. You should be able to jump the control to see if you get blower increases. Do you have a FSM? If not that is the first place I would go.

I opened a new thread titled "AC Problems, 1987 Corvette" on this but yes, it is blowing cold air and my thoughts have been the same as yours. I just think I have a problem with getting good airflow.

Someone else suggested jumping as well, however they were talking about a module for models that have that special air control thing. Mine doesn't have that, just the basic controls.

If you can suggest where to jump the fan, that would be very helpful.

Eric

Im confused. Does the system blow any cold air? From what I have read it seems not a cooling problem but a problem in the blower contol. You should be able to jump the control to see if you get blower increases. Do you have a FSM? If not that is the first place I would go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom