Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

dazed and confused

curt

Corvette
2004 white convertable
Ok, I'm really confused now. What tpms receiver (rfa) is the one used in my car and where is it. 04 convertible. I've seen pictures of a white and box without antenna and a black box with antenna. I've read that one is for export and one not for export cars. I can only assume mine is not export. Bought originally in Pennsylvania. I have read that the location is different in conv. and non comv. What is the facts?

It is located in the trunk on the left (driver) side. It is at the top of the fender and you have to remove the panel that covers it to access. In about 2001 they went to a newer RFA which is the same for all the C5's regardless of type. TPMS sensors for earlier C5s will not work with the newer RFA and vice versa.

Later RFAs can be installed into earlier C5s but the TPMS sensors have to be upgraded to the newer ones. Many people do this when they need new TPMS sensors since the newer sensors are much less expensive.

If you need diagnostic help because you have issues let me know. Typically the RFAs are very reliable and normally it is a power, ground, or serial bus issue and not the actual RFA.

Hope this helps. I know nothing about Exports being different from Domestics but can find out if needed. Mr. Sam

PS: They have an antenna that goes forward and to the rear of the module.

The rfa has been replaced in the last six months by a corvette specialty garage. I was having comm error messages and a seat memory problem as well as tmps problems. They said there diagnosis showed a "sick" rfa and replaced it. Afterward all the problems stop except the tpms problem. I replaced all of the sensor. I got them from Tire Rack but checked the part number at schrader an they verified that they were the same as the ones they supply GM with out GM markings. Now, after a long drive (about 45 min) the right front stops I get a readou on dic and xxxx when I check press. After the car sits for awhile, couple of hours to aday, the sensor comes back. Seems to stay unless I drive a long distance (time). I just tring to eliminate possibilities so I want to be sure the rfa that was replaced was the right one. Oh and Ive replaced the right front sensor twice.

You apparently have the correct sensors and RFA or else it would never work correctly. Also the earlier year RFAs had 4 wires and not the 3 for the later years. I am sure they would not have put an earlier year RFA into your car and pulled an extra wire. Sounds like the one TPMS has an issue.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom