Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Dealer oil changes, MOBIL 1 vs. Dexos for base Stingrays

catbert

Corvette
Night Race blue C7
As owners of base Stingrays know, the base Rays were factory filled with GM Dexos until recently. The dealers were refilling base Rays with Dexos under the free Customer Care 2 year plan. After a huge stink by customers, me included, Chevy understood how stupid it made them look filling the Vettes with non synthetic oil after decades of Mobil 1 factory and oil change use. Early this year GM put out an obscure PIP instructing dealers to use Mobil 1 when changing the oil in the Stingrays. This happened when Mobil 1 was changed to the factory fill for base Rays at BG. As you would guess, almost all dealers don't pay attention to little crap like PIPs that put out the word on service issues. My dealer has sold dozens of base Vettes, and has refilled all of them with Dexos - never heard of the PIP. The paragraph below is the story of my visit to the dealer this morning.

I went to my new Chevy dealer for an oil change this morning (I relocated). We went through the whole Dexos vs. Mobil 1 routine on my non Z51 2014 Stingray. I showed them the memo posted on CF. They still were not convinced. Finally, I said "do what the hell you want to do with charges, but put Mobil in the G.D. car! - I'll get a refund from GM. Five minutes later the service manager came back, and said they investigated, (??????) and found a BRAND NEW GM instruction dated June 9, 2015 that makes all the crap we have been going through crystal clear. The Document ID is 4212517, and it is PIP5290A, and supersedes the original 5290. I got my Mobil 1 refill....free.

on the very bottom under "Tip," it reiterates:

"USE ONLY MOBIL 1 WHEN PERFORMING AN OIL CHANGE ON ANY CORVETTE UNDER THE CHEVROLET COMPLETE CARE PROGRAM.

I hope this will finally bring an end to the problems we have been having, but I doubt it.
smash.gif

Just an FYI for forum members.

A lot of dealer Service Managers and Tech's done f'ing read the bulletins on SI.

Fortunately, I have access to SI on an occasional basis and I keep an eye out for bulletins regarding any of the GM stuff we own.

Now, a question for Catbert, since he knows more about or chooses to know more about Dexos than I...
I thought there were two varieties of Dexos, once synthetic and one petroleum based.

Not that I'd ever use Dexos in anything. My choices are either Gibbs Driven LS30 or Red Line 10W30.

Dexos is a spec, and I have seen both semi-syns and syns with the Dexos label, I don't recall seeing any "conventional" oils with the label. The GM branded Dexos I've seen is semi syn. If I was a little less lazy, I'd research it, but that won't happen. :thumb

Need copy of this PIP or bulletin please.

Dexos is a spec, and I have seen both semi-syns and syns with the Dexos label, I don't recall seeing any "conventional" oils with the label. The GM branded Dexos I've seen is semi syn. If I was a little less lazy, I'd research it, but that won't happen. :thumb

My understanding was GM dealers sell an oil which is branded Dexos, in fact, I think there's Dexos1 and Dexos2.

I avoid any "semi-synthetic" or "synthetic blend" like the plague because there is no standard as to how much synthetic must be in a semi- or a blend. Right now, you could mix 5% ester-based synthetic with the cheapesst petroleum based reclaimed oil you could find and call it a "synthetic blend".

Last month I took my 2014 for it's oil change and gas filler recall work. They used Mobil 1 as I watched. I insisted on Mobil 1 and the World Class tech at the dealer said that they use Mobil 1 for Corvettes and that GM had told them to use Mobil 1. I have a great tech at this dealership, and only he gets to work on my vettes.

Barrett

#PIP5290: Oil Change information For 2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette - (May 11, 2015)
Subject:Oil Change information For 2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette
Models:2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette
6.2L LT1 with wet sump oiling system or non-Z51
6.2L LT1 and LT4 with Option Z51, Z52, and Z06 Dry Sump Engine W/Manual or Auto Trans

<tbody>
</tbody>

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
[h=1]Condition/Concern[/h] Oil Change Information on 2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette as stated in the Chevrolet Complete Care Program
[h=1]Recommendation/Instructions[/h] The 2014-2015 Chevrolet Complete Care Program for Corvettes was designed to take into account Mobil1 is the oil of choice for many Corvette owners.

As a reminder, dealers are required to use Mobil 1 when performing oil changes on ALL 2014-2015 Corvettes through the Chevrolet Complete Care Program
Current reimbursement levels for Corvette are based on Mobil 1 usage. Please remind all personnel that only Mobil 1 should be used.
In addition, please refer to Global Connect message # G_0000205212 for details on dry sump equipped (Z51, Z52, and Z06) Corvettes.

The non-Z51 Stingrays also receive Mobil1 with the Dexos spec while under the Chevrolet Complete Care program.
The only difference is non-Z51 Stingrays do not receive the 500 mile break-in oil change
GM has changed the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems.
The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring system for all future oil change needs.
Tip: Only use Mobil 1 when performing an oil change on any Corvette under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program.

"Tip: Only use Mobil 1 when performing an oil change on any Corvette under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program."

Tip? Seriously, a GM service bulletin says "Tip" to mandate that Mobil 1 be used in Stingray Complete Car Care Program? Sorry, but "Tip" still means maybe in my vocabulary and that owners still need to watch the tech do the work to make damn sure that Mobil 1 is being used. At least it is in writing if owners have any problems.

The non-Z51 Stingrays also receive Mobil1 with the Dexos spec while under the Chevrolet Complete Care program.
The only difference is non-Z51 Stingrays do not receive the 500 mile break-in oil change
GM has changed the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems.
The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring system for all future oil change needs.
Tip: Only use Mobil 1 when performing an oil change on any Corvette under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program.

This PIP was published shortly before I took delivery of my '16 Z06. There still seems to be some confusion about how many oil changes you get. When I took delivery I was told by dealer 4 & the break in change. Manual says break in at 500mi and then follow oil life monitor. Some dealers are doing them at 6 months regardless of miles or % used and others will not do them until oil monitor gets below 10%. 'Marissa' from Customer care posted on another site that dealers are to provide 4 changes and change oil at owners request regardless of miles or % used with a max of 4 changes. I had break in done at 500 mi and next change done 6 months later with 64% remaining, 2600 miles on vehicle and dealer never mentioned or questioned % remaining, miles, or frequency. I contacted Customer Care and was given 2 different answers and also said changes under Customer Complete Care program are to get AC brand, Dexos spec oil which we all know is wrong so I'm not sure I believe their answers. Anyone have the correct answer? Thanks

The PIP is pretty clear. Some dealers are doing the changes on request, up to 4. Technically, the PIP is correct, but some dealers actually go beyond to make the customer satisfied. Changing by DIC. or annually, should be more than enough for street driving. More than that is garage queen overkill, in most cases...IMHO

The PIP is pretty clear. Some dealers are doing the changes on request, up to 4. Technically, the PIP is correct, but some dealers actually go beyond to make the customer satisfied. Changing by DIC. or annually, should be more than enough for street driving. More than that is garage queen overkill, in most cases...IMHO
From a practical perspective, this is probably the best answer I've heard.
Thanks for the response.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom