Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

deck hinge sping replacement

M

Montana

Anyone know where I can get a tool for replacing a missing spring on my 65 roadster deck hinge? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated!

Here is a trick for installing almost any tension spring. This is particularly of interst to those that have ever tried to install the "Godzilla Spring" on a C1 clutch. Take the spring and clamp one end in a vise and bend the spring to the side. and install a washer in the gap. Bend the sring the other way and insert a washer in that side. Just keep doing that until you have extended the spring enough to install it. After it is installed, just close the lid, and the washers will just fall out and you are done!

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John, What an innovative idea! It's one of those "Gee I wish I'd thought of that". Again, thanks a lot.

Montana

You can do the same thing by hooking one end of the spring to the axle on a floor jack and the other end to the lifting plate, pump up the jack to the dimension you need, stuff washers or wooden shims inbetween the coils, then remove it, install it, close the lid, and clean up the stuff that falls out. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom