Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Deer deterent systems

J

jmckay2004

Can anyone recommend an effective system to ward off deer?

Welcome to the CAC, jmckay2004!!

You may want to introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

Hunters. Works every time.

:chuckle

All joking aside, I'm not sure what you are asking. I assume this is while you are driving, right?

If so... I found this on Amazon-

Amazon.com: Maxsa 27510 Deer Alert Animal Warning System with On/Off Switch: Electronics

The first morning after the installation I had two deer in my driveway. I stopped and turned on the 27510. At the first whistle both deer looked at the truck; on the second whistle the first deer jumped into the woods, and on the third whistle the second deer took off like she had been shot at!
Hope that was what you were looking for. Make sure you read the reviews of all comparable devices. Durability seems to be questionable for some.

Deer repellant system

Welcome to the CAC, jmckay2004!!

You may want to introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

Hunters. Works every time.

All joking aside, I'm not sure what you are asking. I assume this is while you are driving, right?

If so... I found this on Amazon-

Amazon.com: Maxsa 27510 Deer Alert Animal Warning System with On/Off Switch: Electronics

Hope that was what you were looking for. Make sure you read the reviews of all comparable devices. Durability seems to be questionable for some.

Thanks. I will check it out.

I am leery of those things. Even a piece of tape on the front of your car will be a "deer detterent" if you never hit a deer while driving. :)

Now, if they pay 100% repairs if you DO hit a deer, then it might be worth it.

I saw an unusual shaped piece of metal on a contractor's pickup one day. It was approximately the size and shape of a deep socket, except one end was a bit smaller than the other and it was mounted on the front bumper.

When I asked about it, he told me it was a deer deterrent. He said the sound it made when he was driving scared deer and other critters which may be on the road ahead.

Seemed plausible but who knows?

:wJane Ann

I saw an unusual shaped piece of metal on a contractor's pickup one day. It was approximately the size and shape of a deep socket, except one end was a bit smaller than the other and it was mounted on the front bumper.

When I asked about it, he told me it was a deer deterrent. He said the sound it made when he was driving scared deer and other critters which may be on the road ahead.

Seemed plausible but who knows?

:wJane Ann

Vendors in Colorado sell those deterents - they say the device emits a whistle sound that scare the deer, but humans cannot hear the sound. Of course, as has been stated previously in this thread, if you don't hit a deer, then it worked perfectly. Problem is, there is no way to test the device until you see and hit the deer (device failed or the deer was not scared). In 2005, I did not have the device on my 91 and I missed the deer standing in the middle of the highway, but not the lane divider wall in the highway. Needless to day, the vette was totalled, the deer escaped injury. In the past month, I have had to brake hard 6 to 8 times to miss deer on the highways I travel. Observe the deer crossing signs and keep a lookout for them, especailly if you are driving in deer country. My guess is that you are more likely to be hit by another driver than a deer. I wonder if the devices work for Elk, Buffalo, and other large critters? Hope you never are in a situation where you test the device under real conditions.
Barrett

No idea on a deterrant, well none that I can see would work.

One thing I plan to do (way down on the list at the moment) is to add a system that should let me see them a lot better when they are there (cause we all know how good the lights on the C5 are, and btw upgrading the lights to HID focusing units is on the list before this project :)).

I added a car PC (just wanted to have GPS and all the media easily controlled from one central display) and it uses a seven inch display that does have an auxiliary input meant for a backup camera.

Eventually I will locate a suitable IR (infrared) night vision camera that is small enough to mount behind the rear view mirror in the center of the windshield. It should brighten up the view forward on its own light amplification well enough and if necessary, I can change the fog light bulbs (I never use them as fog lights) to IR emitting bulbs. With a wider angle lense Im fairly sure I will be able to see at least 160 degrees out side to side and way way farther than any HID light would cast directly in front.

Most of the danger (for me anyway) in deer strikes are from animals on the side of the road that you dont see that just run/walk out in front of you when they hear the car. You usualy have plenty of sight distance straight ahead of the car to see any right in the road. Ive avoided many many deer that were right in the road but just managed to tap one once (in the truck) which was...you guessed it....off to the side until right before I started to pass it.

Perfect system?.....no....not by a longshot. But then again, in my case, its just the cost of the camera (should be less than $200). I wouldnt recommend driving while looking down at a screen :). The way this thing will work is that the display is already centraly mounted and fairly high mounted now (it folds out and sits directly in front of the head unit, I moved the heat/ac controls down when I installed the display for the PC).

At the position its in, you should be able to glance at it pretty easily and still maintain attention to the road. It will only be on those stretches that you know your visibility to the side is problematic (brush interspersed with trees or high grass).

Whatever, just an idea at this point.

and yes.....its reall geeky, but what can I say, the short range sensors, shields and impulse power projects are gonna take a ton of money and a long time, Ill try this for now :rotfl

My cousin has these attached to the front bumpers of his vehicles.
Black Deer Alert Device 17380 by Custom Accessories | DoItYourself.com My only concern is...how can the sound be transmitted forward of the vehicle fast enough for deer to hear it? Case in point...before I retired, I could drive up behind another vehicle (at 55 mph) and the driver of the car ifo me still would not be able to hear the siren. I know the speed of sound is 1,125 fps, or 768 mph, but drivers still can't hear a police siren even when you're in their trunk. Maybe deer are more alert than drivers. ;shrug

............. Maybe deer are more alert than drivers. ;shrug

Well, Brian, it's a safe bet the deer aren't yakking on cell phones or listening to Van Halen. :D

:beer jmckay2004....
We tried those high pitched whistles about 20 years ago when they first came out. They were overly expensive then, now they are often found in the dollar stores. i often thought that the deer actually get used to them, and ignore them. I had them on a car once and the deer didnt even turn around when I passed by.
You are definitely in a bad area for deer. They are even by the road during the day. They are almost pets. you see small families on front lawns!! I have actually walked up to them and started a conversation, and after a while they get bored and keep eating the grass. I suppose that i am not that interesting, but what do they care about Corvettes.
I notice that in the past few years they are much smarter and keep away from cars. Oh yes they still occasionally jump out - in season, but I often pass them by and they totally ignore cars. Usually when they are on the run, no whistle is going to stop them.
If you can invent a good system, you will be a rich man.

NONE are effective unless...

It just so happens that I did a TON of research on this topic a couple of years ago, being a cross country truck driver... and it turns out that (according to wildlife biologists) NONE of these systems are effective, unless your intent is to ATTRACT deer. Deer are naturally inquisitive and will investigate anything, even things that sound like a threat (like a mountain lion growl).
A few years ago, the Ohio State Patrol, after having a bad year with patrol cars impacting deer, decided to install 'deer whistles' on all of their patrol cars. At the end of that year, they saw a slight INCREASE in the number of impacts. An analysis of the study found it to be too close to call on the attraction/deterent question, and concluded that, as a minimum, such devices were totally ineffective.
Biologists also found that the reason a deer will 'freeze in the headlights' is because they do not understand the lights are attached to a large, heavy, speeding object... and that (given plenty of time and distance) turning off headlights for a moment or two will allow the deer's eyes to adjust and then see the large heavy object speeding towards them, and get out of the way.
I've actually tried this also, and found it to be as ineffective a strategy as any device on the market.
Here is a fact... animals respond in very unpredictable manners and there is NO WAY to effectively predict what they will do in any given situation. The best thing you can do is to stay alert in likely areas, slow down at night, and if you see one on the road, don't try to figure out what it will do... just approach as slowly as possible and try to get by without nudging it! Hope this helps dispell any falsehoods out there...

if you run loud pipes you'll be safe
the deer can hear you coming from a long way off and they will definately get out of the road..
the easist way to kill deer with a vehicle is to have quiet pipes and drive fast at nite...dont ask me how i know all this...

People driving Prius' are screwed then. Those things are quiet and will sneak up on you! :D

dress in full camo including face paint..use deer scent and a grunt call and carry a bow and arrow...that runs em off every time...if this doesnt work try carrying a 30 06...

i use my mother in laws photo

it scares away anything that breathe,s. it even works great in cornfields to scare away crows

There is a new system they doing "trial runs" with here in Jersey ...... and we have lots of deer ..... tall skinny rats ..... the place is crawling with them.

Heck .... my kid wacked one last week and we spent Sunday prying the door open and now it needs a new side marker light .... yep ..... same marker that a deer loosened a few weeks ago but didn't break.

They we took the Vette out a few nights ago and had a huge buck go right over the windshield ..... six or eight pointer .... (eastern count) .... but I was kind of "occupied" so I didn't get an accurate count.

Anyhoo....... the new system ..... takes the light from your headlights and puts it through some fancy prisim that then deflects all over the place like some star wars corn-trapshun .... and freezes them in their tracks till you pass.

Last deer I hit .... hell .... I was standing still waiting for his "cousin" who was on the run to go past. Sooooooooooooo in my wife's brand new Volvo, I didn't hit the deer that I stopped for but got nailed by his idiot buddy .... took out the fender and the door!

Believe it or not ..... the deer we have up and down the east coast now are .... "Virginia Whitetail" ...... since they were extinct in the 1920's and had to be reintroduced.

Deer are hell but ...... Moose .... you do NOT want to hit a Moose ..... I've only had two close calls in Maine but my kid sez they have a membrane over the eye so the light doesn't reflect ..... like with the deer ... with the high beams on you can see the eyes. Often wondered if a Vette would go under a Moose?

;squint:

it scares away anything that breathe,s. it even works great in cornfields to scare away crows

Of course!!! why didnt i think of it before??

We need a light projection (ala batman) of Nancy Pelosi. :boogie

On second thought that is too severe.

;LOL Nancy Pelosi!

A "projection" of that Cal Queen would scare off a blind man!

That would make waterboarding seem like a bubble bath ...... but ..... that painted on schizzz eatin' grin of hers is probably even flagged under the Geneva Convention.

Now . . . close yer' eyes and imagine ....... hot panting, and moaning ..... and the credits roll and the opening scene slowly emerges and it's a three way between Pelosi, Katz and Corzine ...

:W:W:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom