Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Defect to Russia, but Never, Never, Never Replace the Water Pump (84)!

ParisTNDude

Corvette
2010 C6 Grand Sport
I am convinced it would have been easier to pull the engine than change the water pump on my 84 Vette. You have to dismantle the front of the engine, take the passenger side valve cover off, disconnect fuel lines and wrestle every piece off the car. I broke the aluminum bracket for the AC compressor and had to have it welded and at the end, had one long bolt and one short one left over????? Yes, I took pics before I started, but do you think any of them showed where this one piece went???? (no way) It cranked and ran fine (quiet, what bliss) afterward, but on the first drive and after 5 minutes driving, it looked like we were spraying for mosquitos.....yep, right side valve cover gasket didn't hold and I had to pull that apart again. What started out as an imagined 3 hour chore ended up taking the better part of 2 days...dang! Defect to Russia before you ever try this at home!!!

Yeah, I know...

its a challenge. Its actually not that many pieces to be removed, its all the junk that operates them and holds them.

Your long bolt goes under the compressor thru the bracket into the block. Its hell to line up and get started if the others have been tightened. The short bolt I suspect goes on the bracket near the tensioner OR its verticle to hold things on the water pump.

As long as the a/c bracket is held with the other bolts and the rear reinforcement arm it should be ok. Might want to watch it as you rev the motor to see if its twisting around when the belt torques it over.

Welcome Komrade

Take comfort in the fact that when they went to the LT1, they made sure the waterpump job was still a PITA. I had to take it off to get to my distributor - no fun.
At least, when I was done, it was kind to me and didnt leak! :L

I saw your other post about your daughter giving you the Corvette! Lucky Dad.
Glad you're back on the road. Keep on Wavin' :w

I drove my 84 for 10 years with a broken AC bracket (the big aluminum monstrosity underneath mounted to the front of the engine). It is simply overkill.

You need the two up on top...which also break a lot. I used some thick steel strap from Lowes and just made these. Worked like a champ.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom