Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Delco-Bose StereoTuner Issue

DonB

Corvette
2019 ZO6 in Elkhart Lake Blue
The stereo in my 1990 C4 started acting up the other night. All of a sudden the tuner seems to jump frequencies. It actually sounds similar to cranking the station tuner knob on an older analog home stereo. It can happen at any time or not at all. It is a intermittent problem and happens on either AM or FM.
Any ideas? Is the tuner/amp module going south? I really don't want to take the dash apart yet again, but I have to have tunes.

Also, any recommendations on an aftermarket replacement. Corvette Central has a Pioneer for about $400 but that seems a bit steep. They also will rebuild the amp/receiver for $230. The other issue is replacing the Double DIN head unit with a single which leaves a hole in the dash necessitating a filler of some type.

Thanks, Don

Check out the connections on the radio unit,It's in the rear compartment with the jack behind the passenger seat! (Metal Box about 5x8x1.5 inch)Clean the antenna connection and wiring plug. If that don't fix it go to a salvage yard and get one for about $35-$50.00 depending on the yard.:thumb

PS Same unit fits most GM vehicles from about 87-96!:thumb:thumb

:beer

I had pretty much the same thing happen on my 84 Cutlas Radio when I still owned it. I did as GMJunkie suggested and went to a salvage yard and found another unit and swapped them out. It was plug and play and was an easy task.

Thanks. But the only thing in that compartment behind the passenger seat is the CD changer that doesn't work anyway. The amp/tuner on the '90 is buried in the passenger side dash board.

some time ago my radio/tape player went out on my truck, which was about twice as tall as standard radios. Bought a new unit at Best Buy, much better radio than what was available in the early 90's. The installation kit had a front mounting plate which filled the extra space. BTW an antenna will not change stations for you, that is entirely a function of the tuner inside the radio.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom