Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders

By Michael Biesecker - Staff Writer
Published: Tue, Jul. 21, 2009 06:08PM

RALEIGH, NC
-- If you plan to outrun the law in Wake County, you’d better have a very, very fast car.

Or maybe a rocket.

Wake deputies have been spotted using a black Chevy Corvette Z06 to pull over speeders on Interstate 40. Among the fastest production cars in the world, the Z06 has a base sticker price of $74,875 and a growling V8 racing engine that turns out 505 horsepower.

The car has a top track speed of 198 miles per hour, according to Chevrolet.

Though the car has set tongues wagging among Triangle sports-car enthusiasts, Sheriff Donnie Harrison declined to talk to The New & Observer about the Corvette Monday or Tuesday. He did show the car to crews from local television stations.

Full Story: Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders - Wake County - News & Observer

I wonder if the black Z06 has a front license plate?
Barrett

Barrett
Why would it??We're not a 2 plate state!!~!!:D

It's my understanding that it's being used more as a race entrapment car,
the blues are below the roof-line behind the windshield,rear glass and behind the front bumper,you won't see them till it's too late!:thumb:thumb:thumbSeveral other County's and City's have Hot Cars including Corvettes,350Z's,Hopped up Camaros and Mustangs that have been confiscated for various reasons that are being used for the same purpose!! The NC SHP and DMV aren't so much jealous as concerned about a County Deputy or City cop that has Little or No Pursuit training operating a vehicle like that!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
My sources will remain anonymous!! :beer
They have them in some other states that I've seen and know of too!!:hb:hb:hb

:D:D:D

I have not seen the Z06 Corvette on Interstate 40 yet. :w But maybe he has seen me. I hope the driver has had training on that beast. He should be able to catch most cars on 40, unless he has to operate all the equipment while dodging from lane to lane.
Hope he doesn't bottom out while crossing the median.
It would be a great advertisement for the NCHP to display at the NC State Fair this year.

• Admin
Barrett
Here's your answer. :chuckle

attachment.php

I just emailed the article to my sisters and parents in Sanford.:eek

- Eric:w

Z06 cop car is just WRONG - WRONG - WRONG I say! They have crossed the line.

• Admin
Thankfully in Georgia.... it is ILLEGAL you use unmarked vehicles for traffic stops! I can assure you that there is NO WAY IN HELL I would stop for that car!!! (or any other unmarked vehicle!) Call 911 and tell them you have a car with blue lights behind you and that you are proceeding to a well lighted very public location or be intercepted by a MARKED unit!

Just for reference I have already had this occur adn won my court case!

When I have you rwounded
Charlie

I agree, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have never believed it. No way would I consider that car to be law enforcement transportation. Not that I think it is a bad idea, because I am still tossing that around in my mind, but because it doesn't have enough attributes for a police machine.

Michigan had them also...

Michigan had them also... Be kinda hard for a 6'2" 220 lb officer to climb in and out of this! simply a waste of money... just like the mustangs were!

When I have your wounded
Charlie

MichState_ZR1_web.jpg

I agree, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have never believed it. No way would I consider that car to be law enforcement transportation. Not that I think it is a bad idea, because I am still tossing that around in my mind, but because it doesn't have enough attributes for a police machine.

I'd certainly dial 911 as well. THATS JUST INSANE!
Lets start with baiting someone into racing is entrapment.
Second, thats WAY TOO much car for most people. Combine that with the fact that whoever driving has no fear of consequence and its a recipe for disaster. :bash
THAT CAR IF LEGITIMATELY SEIZED SHOULD HAVE BEEN AUCTIONED TO PAY FOR THE POLICE BUDGET. If I were a politician I'd SLASH their budget to teach them a lesson!

I HATE unmarked cars..... How are they gonna explain somebody getting hurt when an IMPERSONATOR comes along and hurts somebody, after being stopped by a dirt bag with a light he painted blue..... THere have been several of these incidents here in teh Atlanta area....

When I have your wounded
Charlie

I'd certainly dial 911 as well. THATS JUST INSANE!
Lets start with baiting someone into racing is entrapment.
in the military we call this a barracks lawyer. someone that has it almost right but gives advice that will get you in trouble.

rolling up next to someone and revving on them to race is not entrapment if the person takes the bait.

entrapment is defined as when the police coerce someone into doing something illegal that they would not have otherwise done without the coercion.

if the cop acts like the average sat night street racer and trys to entice someone into a race by a little red light revving or something to that effect its not the cops fault if the person hammers the throttle on the green.

now if the cop offers the guy an enormous payout of the person wins the race or something like that then entrapment could be argued.

this is from the california lawbooks but the definition still applies
Entrapment

this is what you do if an umarked lights you up
http://www.co.ho.md.us/police/docs/tipsonunmarkedcars.pdf

its obvious i am a cop isnt it.

Here in Catoosa County (N GA) in the late 70's until about 85 or so they co. police dept. had white 77 & 79 TA's. I had pics of one for a while.

COOL!!!! THat was back when they Catossa CTY was BRUTAL on the trucks! Now the 18 whlrs own 75 fron TN to Cobb County..... BUT Catossa had the courage to put their name on the side of the cars!
When I have your wounded
Charlie

Michigan did not use a Corvette as a patrol car. The State Police did however utilize Mustangs and Camaros as traffic enforcement cars, in the early 90's but they were fully marked. The MSP currently utilizes several semi-marked Ford Crowne Victorias in various colors such as light blue, grey, black and gold. Semi-marked indicates the car does not have markings on the left side of the vehicle. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom