Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! Left side unmarked!!! Is that so they can work an roadside in an "unconspicous CVPI" and the apprehend the speeder with marking on the right side????

I dont recall where the image of that Michigan SP Vette came from.

When I have your wounded
Charlie

Editorial: :chuckle

Corvette raffle

Published: Tue, Aug. 04, 2009 02:00AM
Modified Mon, Aug. 03, 2009 05:30PM
The News and Observer

The issue regarding the Corvette confiscated by the Wake County Sheriff's Department is about control. I'm sure Sheriff Donnie Harrison knows quite well a Corvette doesn't make sense for a chase car. But the sheriff makes a point that outside people don't tell him what he should or should not do.

Once the sheriff is over his ego trip, he'll find a logical solution for the car's use. Using a Corvette for a chase car would be silly, as it is primarily a Fiberglas vehicle, not suitable for ramming lawbreakers off the road.

Harrison realizes the Corvette, especially like the one he possesses, is a very popular, status-symbol automobile. He can make everyone happy by raffling off the car at $5 a pop, selling a mere 20,000 chances, resulting in a nice $100,000 profit. Well above the $40,000-$45,000 he'd profit by selling the car. Then he can quiet the "needy school" crowd and buy a practical chase car for his department. So, let the sheriff drive the car for a couple more weeks. He's probably never owned a 'Vette before; they are fun to drive.

Douglas Melton
Durham

I don't post here often but felt compelled this time.

Am I the only one that thinks that outrunning the police hasn't been possible since the late sixties and those cheasy burt reynolds movies?

You can't outrun motorola so the concept of a chase car is ludicrous in my opinion. Call ahead and have a roadblock set up. That's a WHOLE lot cheaper than using a Z06

Using an 80,000 dollar car borderlines corruption in my opinion. How will they justify the expense to maintain it? Confiscate an AC-DELCO parts truck?

When is it that cops will ever admit their over aggressiveness and or that they crossed the line?

I drive through that insignificant state occasionally and have noticed MANY cutouts in the median on highway 95 where cops can hide. It's a revenue thing and they always hide behind the puclic safety factor to justify anything they do.

What ego this sherrif has .... Let's hope that Z06 has the bad batch of needle bearings. That will end that car's usage in a hurry.

Oh heck! Don't act like this is something new and take it in with a bit of stride for Pete's sake!

I can remember back in the 66/67 era when the Jersey State Police were coming into the local Hertz franchise and taking out the Rivera's (business suit hung in the rear and a hat on the rear "hat shelf" ...... and they were renting the Shelby Mustang 350-H .... cause if you remember right the "H" was for Hertz. Brown with a gold stripe if my memory serves?

It's all part of the game. :)

in the military we call this a barracks lawyer. someone that has it almost right but gives advice that will get you in trouble.

rolling up next to someone and revving on them to race is not entrapment if the person takes the bait.

entrapment is defined as when the police coerce someone into doing something illegal that they would not have otherwise done without the coercion.

if the cop acts like the average sat night street racer and trys to entice someone into a race by a little red light revving or something to that effect its not the cops fault if the person hammers the throttle on the green.

now if the cop offers the guy an enormous payout of the person wins the race or something like that then entrapment could be argued.

this is from the california lawbooks but the definition still applies
Entrapment

this is what you do if an umarked lights you up
http://www.co.ho.md.us/police/docs/tipsonunmarkedcars.pdf

its obvious i am a cop isnt it.
In your "tips on unmarked cars" it mentions that several times as many people die in that jurisdiction from car accident as from violent crime. Apparently you don't really care about that, if you consider it OK for an undercover cop to encourage someone to race ("not entrapment").
Hypocrite!

From Merriam-Webster Online:
Main Entry: en·trap·ment
Pronunciation: \-mənt\
Function: noun
Date: 1597
1 a : the action or process of entrapping b : the condition of being entrapped
2 : the action of luring an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute the person for it

The legal definition may be different, but for the majority of us, this is what the word really means, and that is what the cops are doing.

in the military we call this a barracks lawyer. someone that has it almost right but gives advice that will get you in trouble.

rolling up next to someone and revving on them to race is not entrapment if the person takes the bait.

entrapment is defined as when the police coerce someone into doing something illegal that they would not have otherwise done without the coercion.

if the cop acts like the average sat night street racer and trys to entice someone into a race by a little red light revving or something to that effect its not the cops fault if the person hammers the throttle on the green.

now if the cop offers the guy an enormous payout of the person wins the race or something like that then entrapment could be argued.

this is from the california lawbooks but the definition still applies
Entrapment

this is what you do if an umarked lights you up
http://www.co.ho.md.us/police/docs/tipsonunmarkedcars.pdfits obvious i am a cop isnt it.
OK Mr. Cop!!! Dont cops have something a little more important to do than to "ENTICE" as you put it!!! What a joke, you make me sick to my stomach.:puke

Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders

By Michael Biesecker - Staff Writer
Published: Tue, Jul. 21, 2009 06:08PM

RALEIGH, NC -- If you plan to outrun the law in Wake County, you’d better have a very, very fast car.

Or maybe a rocket.

Wake deputies have been spotted using a black Chevy Corvette Z06 to pull over speeders on Interstate 40. Among the fastest production cars in the world, the Z06 has a base sticker price of $74,875 and a growling V8 racing engine that turns out 505 horsepower.

The car has a top track speed of 198 miles per hour, according to Chevrolet.

Though the car has set tongues wagging among Triangle sports-car enthusiasts, Sheriff Donnie Harrison declined to talk to The New & Observer about the Corvette Monday or Tuesday. He did show the car to crews from local television stations.

Full Story: Deputies using Corvette to catch speeders - Wake County - News & Observer
This is bull$&@#. first radios, then radar, then lasar now this. The average road "sportsman" doesn't have a chance. Where are the outraged tax payers. You could buy what, 3 regular police cars for the cost of one Z06

This is bull$&@#. first radios, then radar, then lasar now this. The average road "sportsman" doesn't have a chance. Where are the outraged tax payers. You could buy what, 3 regular police cars for the cost of one Z06

They didn't buy it - it was confiscated.

Great, then sell the damn thing and buy 3 regular cruisers with the proceeds. I am still an outraged tax payer.

;shrug well, that's OK. Everyone should be able to be outraged once in a while. It would make more sense if you were an outraged citizen of Wake county or North Carolina, but we're OK with you being outraged on our behalf. That said, I'm sure the sheriff has had enough of the controversy, and will dump it soon. Then the natural order of things will be restored, and we'll only have to outrun Motorola.

Here in NJ we have many of these beauties. Dodge Charger Hemi.
They are mostly unmarked black or Navy Blue.:Steer
They are invisible even when you are standing next to them. It is amazing how invisible they really are.

They are real "money makers". They pull in speeders like tuna.
In this state it is a valuable source of revenue!!

Yeah! They make a $$$$$ on the speeders from Pennsylvania who bomb 202/31, I-78 and I-80.

Now, now, I know the "nice realtor person" tol' ya' that you can make it home from your Manhattan job in 45 minutes ..... but they lied.

There are two underlying causes for this "phenomena" ..... the taxes in PA are reality based and ...... the other sales pitch was to get your kid off the mean streets of Noo-Yawk. Problem is that the commute is now closer to three hours and has left the Pocono area with "latch-key kids" who stay alone all week.

My "nickname" for my drive down I-78 ...... dodging the PA types trying to make the border ... was "MIG Alley" ... :eek:hnoes

Gawd .... I used to love it. Occasionally (despite insurance issues), I'd use my beat up old pick-em-up ... on a weekend .... and as you are busting the yo-yo ...... they are screaming how "Iss un konstutional ca-cause you didn' joose an official Gubberemen car to catch them"

:rotfl ;LOL

Actually, if you can't whoop em, join em. Go out and get a slate grey Dodge Charger that looks like what "they" drive. Wearin' it "high and tight" too ... and .... and :cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom