Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Detachable Hard top

Corvette
1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
Need some advice. I'm looking at a detachable hardtop on ebay that came off of an 88. Does anyone know if this will bolt up to an 89? I was under the impression that there was a difference in the mounts on 88 and earlier models. This one is the correct color for my vert so I wouldn't have to repaint it (if it fits)

Thanks in advance
Scott

Need some advice. I'm looking at a detachable hardtop on ebay that came off of an 88. Does anyone know if this will bolt up to an 89? I was under the impression that there was a difference in the mounts on 88 and earlier models. This one is the correct color for my vert so I wouldn't have to repaint it (if it fits)

Thanks in advance
Scott

Two of my Vette-buds were having this same conversation a few months ago-one owns an 88, the other an 89. The 89's top got badly cracked by a rock flying from beneath a dump truck on the interstate. The 88 owner had 2 acrylic tops and was willing to sell one.

They tried their tops on the other's cars that day and I'm sure I remember them wondering why the fit was off a bit. I'm just not 100% sure cause I own a 93 and it was a 'gathering' so I wasn't riveted to that particular conversation.

I've checked one of my aftermarket catalogues and it seems that the ebay item and your Vette are right at the split year-wise.
Here's how Mid America breaks it down:
84-E86
86L-88
89-96
Hope this helps you.
:w

Two of my Vette-buds were having this same conversation a few months ago-one owns an 88, the other an 89. The 89's top got badly cracked by a rock flying from beneath a dump truck on the interstate. The 88 owner had 2 acrylic tops and was willing to sell one.

They tried their tops on the other's cars that day and I'm sure I remember them wondering why the fit was off a bit. I'm just not 100% sure cause I own a 93 and it was a 'gathering' so I wasn't riveted to that particular conversation.

I've checked one of my aftermarket catalogues and it seems that the ebay item and your Vette are right at the split year-wise.
Here's how Mid America breaks it down:
84-E86
86L-88
89-96
Hope this helps you.
:w

Thanks! This is the top I was looking at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300077494398&rd=1,1

I'll keep looking.
Scott

Thanks in advance
Scott

The removable hard top was not available for the C4 1986 and 87 models. Those years required a special kit from GM that retrofitted the rear deck latches, the windshield latches, and posts behind the doors. After that, the C4 had the correct configuration to attach the hard top. The hard top attaches to the car at the windshield [a floating bolt is in the windshield bracket next to the convertible top latch]. The bolt is threaded into the hard top and secured with a torx wrench. The convertible deck latches accept the bolts attached at the rear of the hard top. The bolts must be tightened with a wrench as they just don't slide into the latches and stay tight as the convertible top pins do. The attachment behind the doors is with an L shaped bracket that bolts onto the frame with three bolts. The hard top slips over the verticle part of the L bracket and is secured with bolts. It is my understanding that all the hard tops are interchangeable from 88 through 96. The hard top also has two wires connecting to the rear window defroster. Your vette should have the connecting wires behind the door posts, and the dash should have a defrost button for the rear window. If not, the hard top should still fit, you just won't have a defroster.

It is very important that the seller on e-bay has the L brackets, bolts, and both wrenches. The brackets cost $60 each, the bolts $7 each, and the wrenches $30 [torx] and $50 [rear deck 7mm and 8 mm closed-end rachet wrench from after market suppliers. Fortunately, Sears sells the $50 wrench for $6 and it is identical to the one that came with the hard top. I just purchased a spare last week.

I hope this helps. Since I live just up the hill from you in Pine Colorado, I will be more than happy to give you more info on this if you need it. You can send me a private e-mail [click on my signature for the info] and I can give you info on the after market suppliers, attaching the hard top etc., or you can just respond to the post if you want.

Good luck with the bright red hard top. Mine is torch red for my 1994 and I love it. Have had hard tops for all my corvette convertibles; must be a cold weather thing as I doubt I would have one if I lived down south where you can drive all year roound.

Thanks in advance
Scott

Scott, one thing I forgot to include in my reply on the hard top in response to your quote at the bottom of your page. I am from the government and although I believe I help, I usually end up helping the general public by collecting the evidence on people who break the law. Some go to prison, others just pay fines. That's been my life's work. Hopefully we'll meet at Cruise Fest this June.

Thanks in advance
Scott

Just looked at the hard top on e-bay that you are interested in. This one should fit your vert. I put a 1988 hard top on my 1991 with no problem. Purchased from an owner who had put it on an 89. Good luck, and my previous posts still hold. St Louis is not that far way, 1 day drive

Just looked at the hard top on e-bay that you are interested in. This one should fit your vert. I put a 1988 hard top on my 1991 with no problem. Purchased from an owner who had put it on an 89. Good luck, and my previous posts still hold. St Louis is not that far way, 1 day drive

Guess I didn't want it bad enough, I was out bid.
Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll keep looking. At least now I know what tops will fit what years.
As to the tag line, just thought it was one of Ronnie's better quotes. I worked as a LEO about 20 years ago, wised up and got into a safer field and now work for a defense contractor.
Pine, huh?? Nice little bar not too far from you. Next time we head up that way, we'll send you an e-mail and maybe meet for lunch. And, we'll see you at CruiseFest 07

Guess I didn't want it bad enough, I was out bid.
Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll keep looking. At least now I know what tops will fit what years.
As to the tag line, just thought it was one of Ronnie's better quotes. I worked as a LEO about 20 years ago, wised up and got into a safer field and now work for a defense contractor.
Pine, huh?? Nice little bar not too far from you. Next time we head up that way, we'll send you an e-mail and maybe meet for lunch. And, we'll see you at CruiseFest 07

Scott
Sorry you didn't get the hard top, it appeared to be a good deal. I know that there is one available if you check the C4 forum under parts for sale. Believe it costs about $850, but needs work. Has tha adapter kit also.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom