Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Detailing Recommendations for 2003 Millennium Yellow Coupe

Tenorplayer23

Corvette
2003 Millenium Yellow Coupe
Hi: Have a very low mile 2003 Millennium Yellow Z51 Coupe (~6K miles....for a lot of reasons, a long story.....
rolleyes5.gif
). It's garaged and only driven in good weather here in New York State. I am hoping to be able to use it a lot more soon.

Have read a great deal on many, many forums & mfgs. sites about various product lines, processes & techniques for hand and machine detailing work, etc.. However, I would also like to get some first hand information and recommendations for doing good detail work on my C5 (considering it's Millennium Yellow, in it's current condition).

Current condition is pretty good, I think.

> It's been washed and waxed (so far OTC products; I like Nu Finish Car Wash and Black Magic Liquid Wax). BM is a very bright and "bulletproof" finish, that's for sure.

> Swirls are minimal, but I suspect are better hidden by the fact that it's yellow and not a dark metallic. i.e. I suspect there is room for improvement (haven't micro-examined it under a high intensity pointed light source, nor do I have a local comparison for what a better detailing process/products might do for that color).

> I use the standard clean 2 bucket washing method, soft fiber washing mitts plus MF towels for drying and terry wax applicators/MF towels for polish removal. Have never used a DA polisher on any of my vehicles (but would like to A/R) or any of the great product lines discussed on this forum and in other places.

I see the trick to an excellent outcome is in the preparation. Therefore, I am generating the list of items to procure - DA polisher & pads, add'l MF towels, other hard goods, as well as, (now, this is the more personal choice & confusing part) the chemical products, to do an excellent job.

Hence, I'd like your product & process recommendations for my Millennium Yellow C5 cream puff, please.
smile5.gif

The only other personal considerations might be:

a) Reasonable time expectations & ease of use to achieve a good outcome - perhaps improved preparation on the vette & all my cars, depending on condition, but then more AIO like processes for finishing???

b) I tend to like the idea of a single mfg. line of products; for compatibility, introduction of fewer variables, one source for excellent/personal support which I consider very important, etc..

c) Products that are reasonably priced and make some sense in their cost/benefit trade-offs. And, having USA-made products would be a bonus, too.

I know there are improvement in products & process steps that you can offer me. So far, I perceive the greatest need to be in which chemical products to use for all the car detailing steps, as well as, particular process suggestions for a Millennium Yellow C5 Coupe!!

Many thanks in advance for your recommednations and input. I look forward to your constructive product & process advice for my Corvette.

Hope to hear from you shortly. Have a good one! Regards, Bob
seeya.gif

one of the best products i have ever seen (and i have tried every wax and polish on the market) is zaino.... i went for one of the starter kits and did the clay bar and everything to my 84 and cant say enough good things about it.... it goes on and comes off easy and as far as i am concerned gives you one of the best show car shines you are ever going to see!

Zaino Store

but if you dont want to spend the extra money and want to go with a store bought product in my opinion meguiars nxt 2.0 is a great buy and will give you a great shine!

but i would try the zaino, follow the directins they give you and you will be very impressed... when i detail my car people who do not know vettes wouldnt believe it is 25 years old!

Ditto!

Zaino will answer any questions about their product or how it may be used in your individual circumstance. They are just a phone call away.

One of my cars is black and Zaino reduced minor swirls to being practically invisible.

Floyd

Bob, I too have used Zaino products, but the first thing I would suggest would be a good cleaning with claybar. Unless I missed this in your post this is an essential step in cleaning.

For swirl removal, I use a Porter Cable 7424 along with Adams SHR (Swirl Haze Remover) on an orange pad, then I switch to a white pad and use the FMP (Fine Machine Polish) and then move on to a Black pad and use their MSW (Machine Super Wax). I have gone over that with the Zaino Z5. I'm not a professional, but I am learning much about detailing and am very pleased with my results.

Although not a Corvette, here is a picture of my daughters metallic black Honda Van that had terrible swirls and basically had only been washed by running it through an automated car wash.

Rosiesdresser009.jpg

Rosiesdresser011.jpg

I am quickly becoming an Adams fan. They have a complete line of products and the customer service is better than Number 1.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom