Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM Press Release: Detroit Man Reunited With Stolen Corvette After 33 Years

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Detroit Man Reunited With Stolen Corvette After 33 Years

2014-07-01
GM Media

attachment.php

George Talley is reunited with his 1979 Chevrolet Corvette Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at the General Motors World Headquarters – 33 years
after it was stolen on Jefferson Avenue, just three miles away – in Detroit, Michigan. Talley received a call from AAA informing him
his car turned up in Hattesburg, Mississipi. GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss heard the story on the news and had the car
shipped back to the Renaissance Center for its return to Talley. (Photo by John F. Martin for General Motors)

DETROIT – George Talley and his prized ’79 Chevrolet Corvette were reunited at General Motors’ world headquarters today, just three miles from where the car was stolen from him 33 years ago.

Talley, 71, last saw his Corvette when it was parked on Jefferson Avenue in 1981. On June 13, more than 30 years later, Talley received a call from AAA informing him his car had turned up in Hattiesburg, Miss.

“It was a lucky day to hear that my car had been found,” said Talley. “They told me it was running, had 47,000 miles on it and was ready for me to pick up!”

Talley - a Corvette fan since he saw his neighbor’s first-generation ‘Vette in the 1950s - was fortunate to own three more Corvettes, but the ’79 was always his favorite.

Talley’s luck continued when Mark Reuss, executive vice president for GM Product Development, heard his story on the news and offered to ship the car home to Detroit.

“George’s story brought a smile to my face,” said Reuss. “As a longtime Corvette owner myself, I know the passion the car inspires. I also knew that car belonged home in Detroit, with its rightful owner, and we could make that happen.”

attachment.php

General Motors Communications Director Terry Rhadigan (left) reunites George Talley with his 1979 Chevrolet Corvette Tuesday,
July 1, 2014 at the General Motors World Headquarters – 33 years after it was stolen on Jefferson Avenue, just three miles away –
in Detroit, Michigan. Talley received a call from AAA informing him his car turned up in Hattesburg, Mississipi.
GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss heard the story on the news and had the car shipped back to the Renaissance Center
for its return to Talley. (Photo by John F. Martin for General Motors)

attachment.php

George Talley is reunited with his 1979 Chevrolet Corvette Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at the General Motors World Headquarters –
33 years after it was stolen on Jefferson Avenue, just three miles away – in Detroit, Michigan. Talley received a call from AAA
informing him his car turned up in Hattesburg, Mississipi. GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss heard the story on the news
and had the car shipped back to the Renaissance Center for its return to Talley. (Photo by John F. Martin for General Motors)

attachment.php

George Talley is reunited with his 1979 Chevrolet Corvette Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at the General Motors World Headquarters –
33 years after it was stolen on Jefferson Avenue, just three miles away – in Detroit, Michigan. Talley received a call from AAA
informing him his car turned up in Hattesburg, Mississipi. GM Executive Vice President Mark Reuss heard the story on the news
and had the car shipped back to the Renaissance Center for its return to Talley. (Photo by John F. Martin for General Motors)

attachment.php

Attachments

• stolen-1977-corvette.jpg
    stolen-1977-corvette.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 113
  • StolenCorvetteReturned01.jpg
    StolenCorvetteReturned01.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 117
  • StolenCorvetteReturned02.jpg
    StolenCorvetteReturned02.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 125
  • StolenCorvetteReturned04.jpg
    StolenCorvetteReturned04.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 129
  • StolenCorvetteReturned05.jpg
    StolenCorvetteReturned05.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 122
Isn't that cool. Nice thing for GM to do also.:upthumbs

Tom

It really is a good story that the guy got his Corvette back, but it surely would be a better story if GM would restore the car for him. He now has a car that is 33 years older and run down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom