Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: Dexos Oil and GM

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Seems that GM is introducing a new oil for many of the 2011 models and is calling it "dexos1" for gas engines and "dexos2" for diesel engines.

Autoweek has an article on this saying that GM's dexos1 is basically GF-5 rated oil but with more tests required to support GM's global operation.

What's the straight word on this "new" oil and how it works with not to old cars and much older cars? Hib?
Who makes it and how much?

I am unfamiliar with "Dexos1" or "Dexos2" engine oils.

I do know that "GF5" was to be (or is going to be) the next ILSAC engine oil standard and will be roughly equivalent to API Service SN. The last time I extensively researched engine oils was 2008 and, at that time, GF4 was the current standard.

For best durability of pre-86 Corvette engines, I would not use a GF4 or GF5 oil in them. They are marginal in the EP additives necessary to lubricate stock flat-tappet valve trains and inadequate in additives necessary to lubricante aftermarket flat-tappet camshafts.

For 86 or later engines, GF4/GF5 engine oils are ok, but, in most cases, there will be no performance gain in switching from a GF4 to a GF5. There will be a loss in your "net worth" as GF5 oils will cost 20-30% more. About the only engines which might gain in a switch, would be those pre-2011 engines with VVT.

In my own cars, I do not use a GF4 or GF5 engine oil.

GM will force owners of 2011 or newer cars to buy this oil by voiding warranties on engines which do not use it.

GM will force owners of 2011 or newer cars to buy this oil by voiding warranties on engines which do not use it.

I read that too. Also stated that with the more advanced oil monitoring 10,000 mile oil changes will be possible negating the increased price.

Oil change intervals were already at 10,000 or more depending on how the engine is used.

All my cars are 2006 or newer so I can use the GF5 oils without issue. And with a 2011 CTS on order, I probably need to buy some dexos1 rated oil for that car to keep the warranty guys happy.

For the new CTS, you may need to do that to conform to the warranty, but for the pre-2011 cars you won't need to because GM cannot make a 2011 warranty requirement retroactive.

For the new CTS, you may need to do that to conform to the warranty, but for the pre-2011 cars you won't need to because GM cannot make a 2011 warranty requirement retroactive.

I'll pay attention when I buy oil now and make sure I get the 'good' stuff.
Since I do 99% of all my oil changes, no problem but I wonder about the quick lube places that pour in whatever it handy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom