Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Diagnostic Scanner

mfowler

Corvette
1990 L98 Red Hard top Convertible
What brand/model diagnostic scanner fits a 1990 C4 L98? I bought the Actron CP9001 but it doesn't even begin to match up to the port on the car.
Thanks!

What brand/model diagnostic scanner fits a 1990 C4 L98? I bought the Actron CP9001 but it doesn't even begin to match up to the port on the car.
Thanks!

You have an OBD1 vehicle and will need a scanner that is OBD1 capable, you will just have to search the internet for availability of a scanner for 1990 OBD1 Corvette.

OBD1 does not support many test functions or history capability, meaning that a scanner may not be a big help in diagnosing OBD1 problems, keep that in mind during purchase cost of a scan tool.

You have an OBD1 vehicle and will need a scanner that is OBD1 capable, you will just have to search the internet for availability of a scanner for 1990 OBD1 Corvette.

OBD1 does not support many test functions or history capability, meaning that a scanner may not be a big help in diagnosing OBD1 problems, keep that in mind during purchase cost of a scan tool.

I'll respectfully disagree.

I've been doing diagnostic work on Corvettes since 1985 and, for the first 11 years, all there was was OBD. I'd have been up shit creek without a scan tester even though freeze frame and so forth didn't come along until OBD II in 1994 (partial) and 1996 (full).

Keep in mind that the CP 9001 is not a "scan tester" it is "code scanner" and there's a big difference. All a code scanner does is ground the diagnostic pin on the DLC so you can get codes from the flashing engine light. You can do that with a paper clip or a jumper wire so you don't even need a code scanner.

If you want a real "scan tester", look at the Actron CP 9690.

I'll respectfully disagree.

I've been doing diagnostic work on Corvettes since 1985 and, for the first 11 years, all there was was OBD. I'd have been up shit creek without a scan tester even though freeze frame and so forth didn't come along until OBD II in 1994 (partial) and 1996 (full).

Keep in mind that the CP 9001 is not a "scan tester" it is "code scanner" and there's a big difference. All a code scanner does is ground the diagnostic pin on the DLC so you can get codes from the flashing engine light. You can do that with a paper clip or a jumper wire so you don't even need a code scanner.

If you want a real "scan tester", look at the Actron CP 9690.

I wasn't saying that a OBD1 scanner is not useful, just that it does not give a lot of information that you cannot get by just flashing the check engine light and getting the code area of concern. On just about every OBD1 car that I can remember working on it was necessary to go to the problem area (found with a flashing check engine light, or with a scanner) and verify a component problem right at the component, even with a break out box at the computer. PITA.

My only point was with OBD1 a scanner may not be worth the price of a scanner since manual checks of individual components will be needed for proper diagnosis, not that there wasn't a quality OBD1 scanner available.

Thanks!

The tool that Chevy put out for dealers was the Tech One. I use a Mastertech 3100. It performs the same tests a Tech One will but does some other things. These aren't simple code scanners, they'll work with the car's systems and store data, trip relays, etc.

As some of the others noted, you can pull most of the codes through the console. Methods vary from model to model but they're easily findable via Google. For mine, you short two pins on the plug together and use the DIC and fuel / gauges buttons to cycle through. I think your can do the same sort of interactions as with the Tech this way but never got that far.

Do you have a set on shop manuals for the thing? They're worth the investment if you're going to work on it yourself. I started out with a pre-released version and it, along with this forum and one other, were very helpful. The final-version has everything, though, and is well worth the money. eBay is your friend here, and don't be in a rush. I got my set for less than $50. (Less than I paid for the pre-release one, if I recall correctly.)

I have an extra Tech One and cartridges that will fit your car. I have an extra MT as well, but it's not in as good shape as the Tech One. They're still listed on the For Sale section. I never got around to putting them on eBay.

Best,
Jerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom