Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIC Panel Missing

junkwes

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition
Hello hello,

I just bought a '96 Collector Edition and it looks like the previous owner got really frustrated and THEN really drunk and ripped out the DIC panel and pulled a few bulbs out of there. The problem is, I'm not really all that saavy about the car yet, and so I'd love to know what lights were pulled, but like I said, I don't have that DIC "Face Plate," and although I have the repair manual, it doesn't even mention the idiot light configuration, and I don't have the owner's manual. I can tell you that one of the lights he pulled was the one on the top right corner. I must have looked for 5 hours on the internet and still couldn't find a diagram or anything that shows the layout of the Information Center on my particular vehicle (I think it's the same as on the 94s and 95s) Also, there's a light, on the top row as well and 2nd from the right, that comes on after just a bit of driving. So far it has stayed on until I turn the ignition off. When I turn the ignition back on, it's dark, but again with a little bit of driving it comes back on.

The only other issue I noticed is when I put it in drive, the engine will periodically “catch” or “lunge.” This happens once every several seconds. It doesn’t actually go anywhere, I’ve got my foot firmly on the brake, but I can definitely hear and feel something happening. It’s almost like it’s trying to switch gears or stall or SOMETHING. It’s like a hiccup. I really can’t figure it out. And finally, there's another issue, though it's not with the car, but with me: funny question, what's the difference between the D with a square around it and the D without a square border on the automatic shifter.

I apologize in advance for my stupidity I’m doing the best I can, spent a lot of time on the internet and got nowhere. Found this site and it looks like the best--just hope someone here can educate me!

I can scan the DIC bulb positions for you.

As to the missing bulbs..It appears to be for the Low pressure tire warning system. Not unusual as some owners pull the bulbs when the sensors go bad.
They are rather expensive to replace. Hope you don't have run flat tires on your car.

There are 2 bulbs in the upper right, looking forward, that are related to the LPTWS.

Bulb on far right is for low tire. (top)
To the left & opposite is for..Service LPTWS.

If you would like the scan my e-mail is lsylvestri@sbcglobal.net

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your posts. Incredibly helpful. The guy pulled the service engine soon light too! It appears that, as I pretty much expected, these lights aren't my only problems. I spent all night cleaning up the car and looking at the engine and user's manual. The engine coolant was very low, and the coolant reserve bone-dry. Upon refilling the engine coolant to the recommended level, and then turning the car on and letting it run for awhile, there is a huge amount of coolant that came leaking out. It looks like someone tried to put putty around the metal part (of the radiator, I guess) where a hose comes in from the front. The engine is very dirty.

There is a periodic "shudder" when in gear (this is not really noticable when it's in park), a few of the dash dials do not work. This includes the oil pressure gauge which looks completely broken and points way to the right, the engine temp gauge seems permanently stuck at 163 degrees F or something so the sensor's probably inop. I would have really liked to look at the engine temp considering the low level of engine coolant! too.
I don't really have the technical know-how to fix these problems, but I'm trying to be a perfectionist with this car now that I bought it! Things seem to work in general though. The guy probably ripped me off in hind sight, but I don't care, I love this car and want to keep it and make the necessary repairs. It looks perfect from the outside, and the engine seems strong. It only has 23k miles on the odometer! It's really a mystery to me how someone could treat this car the way they did and try to make shitty random fixes that leave wires hanging out in strange places etc. There is a pair of wires that has an unconnected connector at the end in the center storage compartment by where the coin holder is. Any idea what that is? I will provide pictures if necessary.

Any idea how much money it would/should cost to fix all the problems I mentioned?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm also not sure if I should post these questions on a separate post, or what. I hope people can give me their best guess, and thanks again!

I don't want to shatter your dream but must caution against driving a car with gauges that are not working, you could do serious engine damage.
My best advice would be to find a local Corvette club, the members should be able to assist you, if not with the actual repairs then by directing you to an honest Vette mechanic with reasonable prices, best wishes for a good ownership experience.

My advice is to get a field service manual and start going through each ""system" Brakes, cooling, engine etc. I would go to the local parts store if possible and have them pull the error codes from the computer.

Technical know how is gained by doing. If you have basic knowledge, the FSM (about 100 bucks) can walk you through just about anything on the C4. It has clear repair procedures and excellent drawings and pictures.
A few evenings spent reading the FSM could save you thousands of dollars.

I think the wires you are talking about on the center console is a plug for accessories. It should have a label as such and most likely is not connected to anything. If I recall it was like 3 wires in a white connector.
The wire is orginally stuffed up under the console top.

Anyway, don't get frustrated !

Given enough time parts and money, anything is repairable, just take it one step at a time.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom