Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Difference Between 2001 Emissions RPOs NB8 and NG1

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Have you ever wondered what the hardware differences are between a 2001 Corvette equipped with RPO NB8
(CA/Northeast Emissions Requirements) and a 2001 Corvette equipped with RPO NG1
(MA/NY State Emissions Requirements)?

So have I. I was in touch with GM Powertrain today and the answer I received was: "There were no emission hardware
differences between a Federal and a California Y car in the 2001 MY."

This confuses me because if that's the case, then why list two separate RPOs with different descriptions if there isn't a difference between the two? Anyone venture a guess?

• Admin
The following is a further explanation from GM Powertrain:

The FE9, YF5, and NG1 marketing RPO are really 'emission destination' RPOs. The other emission related RPOs are 'true emissions' RPOs that define a specific emission standard that the vehicle meets. Since depending on the GVWR certain states require certain emission standards be met, there has to be some designator to help determine which state gets which package
(literally prohibiting vehicles that meet other emission standards from being sold in a certain state). The marketing RPOs are also used for tracking purposes to determine how many vehicles were sold in certain parts of the country (CA or the NE states).

The following image is from GM Powertrain:

gvwr.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom