Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Differential Service on a C6 - Base car

Luiparra

Corvette
2008 Coupe, Crystal Red metallic - 6 Spd P/shift
Hi,
I have a 2008 with 6-spd paddle shift automatic . When the engine/car is cold and I am backing out of my garage/driveway and turning into the street I hear some chattering and mini rocking of the positraction clutches, not severe, but I notice. After the car gets going and get to operating temp, it doesn't do it anymore even if I reverse or make a sharp turn, no problem. My question is: Is it time to service the differetial by draining and replacing the fluid? Is this a labor intensive/expensive servicing or is it just like an oil change? Do they have to break and remove a pan and replace gaskets? I did this service on an older C3 in my younger days right in my garage and it was a little messy. I have no idea how is for the C6. Can someone shine any light into this. I just don't want to be taken for a ride at the Dealership as they told me it could be expensive. I haven't made the appointment yet. Thank you!!!:eyerole

Last edited:
Chaning the diff lube is like an oil change only easier.

You take out the drain plug. Wait until it drains dry. Replace the drain plug and tighten then remove the fill plug. Fill with the appropriate lube until the lube level is right at the bottom of the fill plug opening. Replace the fill plug. There is no "pan" to remove.

I can't understand why the dealer told you it would be expensive.

Now if you mean changing the transmission fluid and filter, then, yeah, that's a little more costly but I would not term it an "expensive" service procedure.

Diff Svce

OK, Thank you! :thumb That is what I thought, but Im getting too old and fat to fit unter the car on jacks:L, so I will take it to the dealer for service:D.
And no, it is not the tranny fluid change, but since the tranny is next to the diff, I thought they shared the same fluid, just a thought. Thans Hib for the insight!!!:upthumbs

Chaning the diff lube is like an oil change only easier.

You take out the drain plug. Wait until it drains dry. Replace the drain plug and tighten then remove the fill plug. Fill with the appropriate lube until the lube level is right at the bottom of the fill plug opening. Replace the fill plug. There is no "pan" to remove.

I can't understand why the dealer told you it would be expensive.

Now if you mean changing the transmission fluid and filter, then, yeah, that's a little more costly but I would not term it an "expensive" service procedure.

The trans and diff are bolted together but do not share fluids.

Diff Service completed

Hi there,

And make sure they use the right fluid, 88862624 is the correct part number for your car.

There is no modifier to add, ONLY THE FLUID.

Allthebest, Paul

Thank you all, the service was completed and no more rocking or chattering. It was serviced at the dealership and the technician informed me that he had to flush it twice as it was pretty dirty.
No wonder!

Peace!
Luiparra

Somewhat common problem that is fixed with an additive to the differential; mine was covered under warranty and too less than a half hour.

Hi,
I have a 2008 with 6-spd paddle shift automatic . When the engine/car is cold and I am backing out of my garage/driveway and turning into the street I hear some chattering and mini rocking of the positraction clutches, not severe, but I notice. After the car gets going and get to operating temp, it doesn't do it anymore even if I reverse or make a sharp turn, no problem. My question is: Is it time to service the differetial by draining and replacing the fluid? Is this a labor intensive/expensive servicing or is it just like an oil change? Do they have to break and remove a pan and replace gaskets? I did this service on an older C3 in my younger days right in my garage and it was a little messy. I have no idea how is for the C6. Can someone shine any light into this. I just don't want to be taken for a ride at the Dealership as they told me it could be expensive. I haven't made the appointment yet. Thank you!!!:eyerole

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">

Well, not quite that simple!!!!

Somewhat common problem that is fixed with an additive to the differential; mine was covered under warranty and too less than a half hour.

<input id="mac_address" value="" type="hidden">
After I had the service, which seemed to alleviate the previous modest rocking every time I backed out of the garage and when engine was cold, it all went downhill after 140 miles of driving to South Fla. I didn't get there and had to visit Rosner Chevrolet in Melbourne, FL where I left the car and continued our trip on a 2014 Toyota Corolla rental from Budget. The chattering and vibration every time I made a turn was unbearable on the Vette. The dealer tried to alleviate the chatter by re-changing the fluid and additive, but to no avail. Then, I had them contact the Extended Warranty people and resolve the problem. The clutches in the differential were disintegrating and causing the problem, so they had to be replaced at a cost of $1600.00 later. On our way back from south Florida, we picked it up the Vette and were glad to get rid of that Toyota which had a terrible over-steer for being a 2014 model with only 2k miles on the speedo when we rented it (gas mileage was superb, though. Made close to 40 MPG at speeds of 70 +). I would have much rather been in my Vette with an avg MPG or 25 +, and no over-steer!

Thanks for the interest and comment/reply to my post:w
Peace!
Luis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom