Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Digital instrument cluster

A

Alfonso Gomez

When I bought my 1987 Coupe, the instrument cluster was so dim I had to fill the gas tank daily because there was no way to know the level of gas in the tank. Same for speed, oil pressure, etc. I went to a shop that specializes in Corvettes (?) and was told that the unit had to be sent to the Delco factory in the States. The shop owner told me that the estimates for fixing the cluster usually ran between $900 to $1300 depending on what had to be done. So I checked around in the Internet and found a place in New York called United Radio (unitedradio.com). I sent my unit insured for $1500 on a Thursday morning, next Friday at about 2:00 pm I had an estimate of $430 including shipping back to Puerto Rico, a one year warranty included. I authorized the repair, which included three new digital panels and gave them my credit card number. Lo and behold, next Monday at about 5:00 pm a UPS truck delivered my rebuilt instrument cluster in perfect working condition. I have not had any problems with it since then. They even put in new light bulbs. So, if anyone out there has a problem with their digital clusters, check these people out. They seem very proffesional and do a good job.

glad to hear you had a good experience... many times specialty companies like that tend to over charge... this company sounds like a good, fair, and honest one.

Mine was done, similarly, but 'back then' the price was about $250, and I exchanged it on the spot for a rebuilt. I've had no problems since. It's been long ago, and i am not sure the outfit is still around.

:w

It locks up in the start up mood, then sometimes it will come on. then it will lock up again. Its been so hot here 95 and humid

Yeah that doesn't sound like an "easy" fix. Could potentially be cracked solder joints. That along with a connector between to two boards are common problem areas. Someone handy with a soldering iron could take care of that (once the cluster is removed).

It locks up in the start up mood, then sometimes it will come on. then it will lock up again. Its been so hot here 95 and humid
What do you mean by "locks up"? Are the gauges dark but both green turn indicators and the blue bright headlight indicator on. If this is the case you've got an intermittent ground connection to the cluster. Usually due to corrosion on the connector between the two circuit boards inside the cluster. It's pretty easy to open up the cluster and clean them. Another possibility is corrosion where the ground wires bolt to the frame (below brake master cylinder).

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom