Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dilema - Keep 88 or buy 82

Baldie88

Corvette
2016 triple black vert.
My brother has the C5 bug is going to part with his cherry 82. Never thought he'd part with it - treats it better than the kids and dog. Anyway I'm considering buying it and selling my 88. Can't make up my mind. Really like my 88 but his 82 is almost show condition.

Here's the cars: Mine is a red/red 88 with most options. I'm the 4th owner. 34XXX miles. Paint looks like new. Seats are good and I've only had to do minor maintenance in the 10 months I've had it. Not in rain since I've owned it. I really enjoy it. You'll see in in my signature.

My brother's is an 82 red/red with all options. He's the 2nd owner and has had it for 9 years. Just turned 30XXX miles. He's got all documentation from the build sheet on. Still has the original tires (although he has correct replacement Goodyears on the car now) and any original item he has replaced. Only non-stock item is a replaced A/C retrofitted with R-134. Car is CLEAN. Stored in a heated garage during the winter and never seen rain.

He's selling his 82 for $15K which is very fair. I'm thinking of asking $12 for mine. As much as I'd hate to sell my baby, I've always wanted his. Just wish he had decided 10 months ago which would have save me this hastle.

So what would you do? Keep a faster, more advanced Vette or get a classic?

Keep 88

It will be a better car in the long run!

Vig!

I would keep the '88

You have a beautiful car now, and I would not mess with that. The '82 sound gorgeous, but I think that if you really wanted a late C3, you would have bought one ten months ago.

I dunno, but you probably feel a little bit pressured to make a decision relatively quick, since it's your brother's car. If that is the situation, then you should probably hold your cards. If you find out later that you want a prestine late C3, go get it then. Your car is not going to lose its value.

No offense to C3s (I love them), but you probably chose your '88 for a reason.

-Greg

I can't argue with what has been said about the 88 being more tech, more power, and better handling. I've owned several C4's and enjoyed them all. . . BUT..

There's just something about a "Shark"! Plus getting in and out of a Shark is a whole lot easier than getting in and out of a C4.

The 1982 is a one of a Kind Shark, unique to Sharks. I won't go into detail, I'm sure your brother has told you all about it ;)

I'm betting your brother makes sure his pride and joy goes to a very loving home ;) I'll also make a wager that with in a year or two or when he sees a pure 1982 he'll say something like, "I had one of those, sure wish I'd kept it!"

BudD
:bu

Buy the 82 and keep the 88. It's the simplest answer and you'll have the best of both worlds!

IMHO, I wouldn't take two C3's for a decent C4. Have you ever cornered a '63 to '82 Vetter really hard? The rear suspension seems really freaky to me. It sort of slips a little then grabs.

Not to mention the engine in your '88 is far superior with aluminum heads, roller lifters, port injection, etc.,.......

My $0.02,

Baldie,
Do what makes YOU happy. I would suggest considering, an 82 will require a tremendous amount of maitanance. If the 88 is a daily driver it's hard to say if the 82 can match the dependability. I love my 82 and definitely enjoy driving her over the 85, but I'm not so much into the speed thing but the beauty of the car and being an old man it brings back some great memories. Sort of what driving is supposed to be like. Maybe you can work something out and have both. When I was faced with this decision I went with owning both and never looked back. I will say I'm under the 82 every weekend doing something while the 85 has to be the most dependable car I've ever owned.
Good Luck on a hard decision.

Either way it's a win,win situation.

Carlo

You guys sure aren't making it easy. I should have said that I was originally looking for a C3 when I found the 88 and it was in my price range. Although the 88 was a daily driver once, the original owners only put on 15XXX miles in the first 10 years. I just drive it in nice weather now. My brother's 82 is definitely a show car. Sure wish I had the money for both because I do have the garage space but I'm looking at retirement in 3 years so I've got to start saving some pennies rather than spend them. I'm sure that in 5 years the 82 will be worth more than the 88. Didn't really buy the 88 for the power but it sure is nice!

I'm going to scan a picture of the 82 tonight and post it and you can tell me what you think

Thanks for all your help. This is a great website.

Go for the 82 Shark

Baldie,

I think it really comes down to what you want to do with the car:

1. Show car
2. Weekend driver
3. Daily driver

It sounds like the 88 is not your daily driver with 34K, and only comes out on sunny and special occasitions. It really looks great! Therefore you must have a "commuter" car.

The 82 would be very similar, and you'd way look cooler in it. Style! There are tons of C4's driving arround, everyone has them, so seeing on old C3 is a real head turner... in my opinion.

I dream about a 1977 Chevy Orange L82, w/tan int all the time. That one really gets me going. But I went for the 96 LT4, daily driver, reliability and horse power. But if I had the money, and a place to keep it... the L82 would be mine too :) I love those 70's Stingrays.

Go for the 82! You can always find C4's out there is great shape.

You'll never forgive yourself later when you brother sells it to someone else, and you missed out.

Maybe your brother would consider a trade? And after a few months or so, feel it out and then talk. He is family. You may find you don't like the feel of the 82 or something... then you know you were meant for the 88. Just a suggestion.

Good Luck,
John

Baldie

Why not put off the decission for 3 years, keep the 88 and buy the 82, with the stock market the way it is and you can't touch the 104K without penalty til 59 1/2 why not put your money in something that won't loose its value. 3 + years down the road you will have experienced both and then your decission might be easier.:upthumbs

Chuck

In 3 years, it'll be much more difficult to buy a Shark in that kind of shape than it would be to buy a C4 in that kind of shape. Of course, the price of C4's would've gone down significantly by then.

I think of it like this, the later C3's aren't old enough to be too collectible, yet not new enough to be too expensive. I think that the C4's will come along the lines of that in a few years; especially if the C6 is introduced in 2005/6 or something like that.

Both if you can swing it.

I have two C3s and a C4. Best of both worlds. If your brothers car was an early C3, say 68-74, I would say go for it. The late C3 bubble backs just don't appeal to me. So I would have to stay keep your '88.

But the ultimate decesion would be to get both.

tom...

Thanks for all the opinions guys. As soon as I make up my mind on keeping the 88, I get the feeling that I'm letting a perfect 82 slip through my fingers. Sure wish I could have both or the 82 would have come along about 10 months ago when I was buying the 88. I guess till my brother gets the C5 I don't have to make a decision. My neighbor has already offered to by my 88 so selling doesn't seem to be a problem. As soon as something breaks lose I'll post my decision.

I'm attaching an old picture of the 82 taken about 7 years ago and it still looks this good today.

davevette.jpg

Sweet

BudD
:bu

Baldie

After coming out to the parking lot at work yesterday to look at my 81, I thought sure that you would decide to buy the 82!:L

like Rare 81 said "There's just something about a "Shark"! Also you found out yesterday that getting in and out of a Shark is a whole lot easier than getting in and out of a C4. Also as you pointed out, you can work on Shark.

Your new garage has room for two Corvettes. keep the 88 and also buy the 82!

Good Luck in your decision!:w

Grizz

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom