Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Discontinued parts

ddahlgren

Corvette
91 Dark Green Coupe
Would it be worthwhile to poll everyone for known discontinued parts and make it a sticky for each generation so no one has to find in the end they need a salvage yard to find what is no longer working?? Just read the one that the ABS needs and should be illegal to discontinue that makes either a safety item such as that or an emissions part that makes the engine legal to operate.. Personally I think I might like to get a working known spare that would keep me from enjoying my new ride.. Without the parts these might all turn into 'dune buggys'.. A term we use in the vintage race car biz for cars that did not exist in the configuration offered.. There are no March / Chryslers that I am aware of..LOL..
Dave

That could be an interesting (and useful) thread. We'll see how many posts regarding discontinued parts this thread generates. If there's enough activity, we can make it a sticky for easy reference in the future. :thumb

:wJane Ann

I for one would love such a feature. My 89 is gonna be needing stuff soon and I know much will turn out to be discontinued.

I vote for it. Some of us old folks have been hit pretty hard by the economy especially those who have been on fixed income since forever (mine goes back to 1992) I don't know about some of you but my Corvette is one of the few things I have that still can give me a smile and many hours of enjoyment whether I am driving it or fixing it. It sure would be helpful to be able to find a part that might keep me running even if it is not out of the box.:v:Steer

Throw in a cross reference to parts that are interchageable from other cars like the Camaro or Firebird or any model that used the same engine as the Corvette. I had to compare alternators one time to fix my Chevy and get home on a Sunday. The parts store did not have a Chevy Alternator but we went through the Pontiac parts and found a replacement. I know that many times there were common parts but each car line used their own part numbers for the same part.

Great idea, that would be a great resource!

Started ordering OEM parts that are specific to my ’96 about three years ago. One sentence that kept coming up with regularity from the parts tech was ”there’s only 3 left in the country.” (you could fill in any low number where that 3 is, some parts are getting scarce).

When it comes to discontinued parts, the ZR-1 guys have it down. They have a great community that’s helpful with locating parts for one another when needed.

B17Crew
:w

Great idea and the cross reference would very useful.

Brillant idea! It is this community discussion and thinking that sets CAC apart from other sites. CAC is the gold standard. Just this year I spent two weeks searching for the power brake "booster thingy" for my MY93cp. The quest had me chatting with gnome-like individudals living is wooden warehouses on the back of used car lots, salvage yards, etc. along with the big parts houses. There were NONE available anywhere in the U.S. or Canada apparently at the time. Finally "Bobby" at ZIP encouraged me to contact Eckler's. They had just one. After confirming availablity and paying for it, I mentioned that there were none anywhere. The Service Representive mused that he thought that Eckler's owned the "dies" or license, or had access to new parts, or had some way to get the part. I recently noticed that they now have them in their cataloge, for, I think, twice what I paid. My point, as these icons of American design and engineering age it would be a crime to just "junk" them or duct tape them to keep them operating. So please do this.

Dave, welcome to the CAC. It is the new yougbloods that keeps all of us young. Thanks for your thinking.

Charles

I am new to owning a Corvette but no youngblood at 56..LOL.. I always wanted one so thought I better do it soon if I am to enjoy for a long time. It might be a sacralidge but anything that stops my Vette from running will get updated with something even if I have to design and make it myself. I have been in auto and motorcycle racing professionally for over 30 years I don't think I will get stumpted to soon. I used to design cylinder heads and manifolds for Winston Cup cars did some design work for GM remember the aluminum bowtie head??:D Now I am in business for myself fabing custom mahifolds slide throttles etc and custom electronics / harnessing tuneup for vintage race cars most GTP types along with the occasional Reynard / Cosworth or Ferrari sort of things. Not blowing my horn just sort of an introduction...
Dave

Deleted C-4 parts

I have been purchasing parts off Ebay under Corvette parts or tpi.
All the used parts have been installed with no problems. Considering
the risk involved with some used parts. I will not purchase things like used brake calipers, steering rack to much safety concerns as my grandsons, wife do ride in my vette.
An example of my purchase wheel covers 4 brand new still in package from 1992 152.00. Low mileage steering wheel for 120.00.

DISCONTINUED PARTS

JUNK YARDS CAN CROSS REF. PARTS. ANYBODY GOT A FRIEND IN THE SALVAGE BUSINESS THAT WOULD GIVE UP THE INFO?

I am new to owning a Corvette but no youngblood at 56..LOL.. I always wanted one so thought I better do it soon if I am to enjoy for a long time. It might be a sacralidge but anything that stops my Vette from running will get updated with something even if I have to design and make it myself. I have been in auto and motorcycle racing professionally for over 30 years I don't think I will get stumpted to soon. I used to design cylinder heads and manifolds for Winston Cup cars did some design work for GM remember the aluminum bowtie head??:D Now I am in business for myself fabing custom mahifolds slide throttles etc and custom electronics / harnessing tuneup for vintage race cars most GTP types along with the occasional Reynard / Cosworth or Ferrari sort of things. Not blowing my horn just sort of an introduction...
Dave

Welcome to the CAC .... are you on the "other" Corvette forum? Name looks familiar. Anyhow, glad you found your way here. Sounds like you have the abilities to keep your vette going event if parts are not available.

I've been able to find everything I've needed for my 89 although some were difficult to locate. Mounting brackets for hardtop and the correct VSS (vehicle speed sensor) when I upgraded to 3:07 gears come to mind.
There are always options but maintaining originality makes it tough sometimes. List of discontinued stuff would be helpful.

OK . . . I'll be the first to bite. There are no OEM C4 bumper covers for nose or tail. No new power steering pumps or related pressure side hoses for P/S. Only rebuilt factory radio recievers (behind pass. seat). No fuel line clips either. While there are slave cylinders for the hydraulic clutch, I know there was a problem with improper assembly at the factory. I'm not sure whether it was resolved. As for bone yards; J&D Corvette in Bellflower, CA.

So, how do we compile the info?

My thoughts exactly.. i have heard the tire presure sensors are no longer available for a 91 as I have a bad one. I also heard that the egr soleniod for the 91 is also not avaiable yet NAPA lists one. I would think there are 3 levels of no parts. No OEM No aftermarket such as Ecklers NAPA Autozone whatever and a closest fit work around before we get to no part exists.. Sound like a plan? If it started out as a running list sorted by part alpha betically by part name then year or years followed by a know aftermarket company and part number if possible and then the same for the workaround..
Dave

Parts

I was wondering about parts for my 1996 Lt4 CE. I was at a chev dealer this fall, and the corvette mechanic, (who I check out was very qualified, he was old like me 73), anyway I was asking about the optispark. He said it would be wise to get an spare one as they were getting hard to find. I am used to the old days when we had no problem getting parts for our vetts. Any information would be appreciated. I think a source on this site would be great. Larry

There are still some aftermarket ones around MSD etc last I looked..
Dave

I think it is a great idea.

As for the OP's commet that discontinuing safety or emissions parts should be illegal, I understand that seat belts for early C4s are no longer available from GM, (and hard to find from the repro mfgrs) even though there is still a valid recall on them. :W

The electronic key fob is no longer available. I checked last October. No known aftermarket source but did see a few for sale on eBay.

Denny

The electronic key fob is no longer available. I checked last October. No known aftermarket source but did see a few for sale on eBay.

Denny

This may be one of those items where they are “buried” in a Chevy dealers parts department. I purchased a NOS one this summer over the counter at Buyers Chevrolet in downtown Columbus (Ohio). Searching for C4 parts has already taken on a “treasure hunt” persona when looking for C4 parts. :L Now we know why all of our C1, C2, and C3 brethren get so excited about finding a hard to come by OEM part.

B17Crew
:w

Mine is still due for a seatbelt recall if they don't have ant maybe I could put in a 4 point harness as a 'safety measure' LOL..
Dave :D

You may have been able to get a electronic key fob at some dealer who has old stock but when I checked last year they were not listed in the parts book as available.

Denny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom