Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dissed By a C6

Nevets2004

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe / Lt. Oak
Now I know how some C4 owners felt when they were dissed by some C5 owners back in '97.

I was driving home tonight around 08:30 PM in my '04 with my thirteen-year-old daughter from my brothers home in Long Island when an orange (looked orange) C6 passed by me. He realized he had passed a Vette and slowed down until I caught up. We were doing about 60 and I was in the left lane and he was in the center. When I pulled up next to him, I tapped the horn and waved (as I was taught by these forums to be the proper etiquette). My daughter said he made a mean face before he dropped to a lower gear and flew away from me only to have to jam on the brakes about a hundred yards away because of the traffic.

Not a cool move dude, I didn't appreciate it. Whenever I'm about to overtake another Vette, I slow down and wave while passing at a reasonable speed and then slowly accelerate to the speed I want to be. Blowing the doors off of other metal cars such as Mustangs or Vipers (if need be) is acceptable and even encouraged, but not to other Corvettes. Besides, I don't think this guy had his Corvette long enough to be jumping on it so hard anyway.

Thank you for listening. :v

Sadly, the Corvette is nothing more than a status symbol to some people. :(

You did the right thing. :w

If that type of situation happens to me, I just smoke em. Normally if they do have a faster car, they wont drive it like a vette owner. The wave is something that is not realized by these new vette owners.

Craig

Oh well, he just does not know what he is missing out on...not like we would probably like him either...

I wouldn't give him a second thought. He's obviously a jerk and will end up in the ditch eventually. I hope he had his vette in for the recall on the breaks if he continues to show off like that. - Ron

Maybe he was a car-jacker or a car dealer. :L

I had a 2 year old C3 when the C4's came out; it took awhile to teach them boys manners too, but they came around--in style... You can always tell a long time 'vette owner, they're the ones driving with the driver's side window open--even on cold days.

I agree about the learning curve for new vette owners. I experienced the same when I had a 72, the C4 people who were new didn't know. They were mostly jazzed to be made aware of the wave buy vette owners who knew. I found very few newbes who did not care about the kinship of corvette owners. However there will always be people who own vettes and don't care, status symbol seekers. Fortunately they are a miniscule % of the owners and are quick to move on once the lease is up! They don't understand; they will never understand; they don't care to understand; and we will gladly let them go!
Tom:(

When you caught up to him you should have flipped him the bird (lol). Probably not a good move with your daugther in the car I guess!!

I agree...sadly enough these things have become status symbols to people who don't give a crap about the car. It seems that life is pretty much like that...the people that can have anything seem not to really have much of a connection with stuff beyond the obvious...it seems that the folks who really appreciate such things took a long, long time to get it.

Here's something kinds funny...no offense anyone...but it is worth telling only for the yuck. When the C-4's came out, I was tooling around in a 1972 Chevy Kingswood estate...remember those boats? It was a real beater!! A buddy and I were at a stop sign and a brand new C4 rolls up next to us. A real beauty! I look at the guy and give him a thumbs up...he scowls at me, and when the light turns green..he hammers it. Well...I get up to the next stop light and pull beside him on the passenger side of the Vette. I notice a real beautiful blonde in the passenger seat. She has this huge grin on her face and so does slick, as he grins over at us. When the light turns green...he goes flying from a stop and I mash the fun pedal and that's all we saw of the Vette as we left it in the dust. Well... slick catches up to us at the next light and as my buddy and I are nearly hanging out of the car looking right at them, they go right through the red light instead of suffering the humiliation of getting thromped by a beater station wagon!!

Oh yeah...forgot to tell you, the ole' Kingswood had a ZL1 in her that I was warming up to put into a Camaro!! I tell this only because it was in fact another Bow Tie that put the Vette in its place and for the fact that there is something lurking out there that will humiliate just about anything. In my neck of the woods it is 1969 Dodge Dart GTS with a 440 that has been built to the hilt. I know for a fact that that thing has humiliated a couple of Vipers and high dollar toys....poetic justice!!

So for you guys/gals that are fortunate enough to own a new C6...realize that the rest of us are ALREADY green with envious....you don't have to humiliate us and leave a bad taste in our mouths (LOL). Oh yeah...and take it easy on those new C6's...cause I'll only be able to buy one in 10 years!!!

I would have paid serious $$$$ to see the look on that guy's face! He must have looked like Wiley coyote! Great tale! ;LOL

"Most secrets are fleeting, temporary at best. The secrets of speed are the most fleeting." I don't know who said it but I think it's true. Tom

76L82 said:
Here's something kinds funny...no offense anyone...but it is worth telling only for the yuck...
Great story, thanks

The guy in the C6 will figure it out eventually

Like Agent Smith said, "It is inevitable." :L

I said that months ago in one of those "wave" threads about C5 owners not waving to anyone. I said that just wait until the C6's start hitting the road.

As for slick and the beautiful blonde, I saw the same thing when I was driving my Camry a few months ago. However, they were in a BMW Z3 with the top down. They were behind me and he gunned it. She got this huge "we're on top of the world" grin on her face. I said to my buddy, "Damn, if I was driving the 'Vette, I would've put them in their place." :D

76L82 said:
!!

So for you guys/gals that are fortunate enough to own a new C6...realize that the rest of us are ALREADY green with envious.......
We are?:confused . Maybe you, not me.

Nice thread - good stories. But in all of this, the one my thoughts turn to is your little girl. You assure her that even though the world is full of some mean spirited and nasty people, most Corvette owners are proud of their cars and their comrades, and only too happy to wave a hello anytime.

I congratulate C6 owners on their purchase of THEIR dream car because I can empathize with someone wanting to fulfill a Corvette dream. But I don't envy them, because my C5 is my dream.

And no matter how fast you go, there's always someone or some car out there that's faster. And as the old saying goes, you can't judge a book by its cover.

JAG
:w

The road is waiting for you.

People with LOTS OF MONEY buy Corvettes as a car or object to show their paycheck. For US Corvettes are a legacy...save the wave!!

I was a victim of the same shame with a ZR-1.
Maybe, back then my 92 Conv was not good enough for him:v

Has anybody bought their vette from Kerbeck?

HI

I'm not looking for anybody to praise or diss them! All l'm looking for are they straight or the usual this is the price but you have to pay for a long list of dealer add-ons.

They were running an ad where they were discounting the C6 by $1500 if you took del by Jan 3.

One of my friends went to Kerbeck and he wanted to trade in his 94 vette in perfecto condition with real low miles and they told him because there really wasn't a market for that year but would give him as a trade ( l believe) $8500.

Of course he walked out and one month later he returned with a friend to look at another vehicle (not a vette) and wandered over to the same salesperson who gave him that low trade in figure and asked him how much they wanted for the same car he wanted to trade in only a year older with an additional 12,000 miles. The salesman's reply was this was the best platform Chevy made for the vette and that if he liked the vette he should close a deal fast because they sell like hotcakes. The asking Price was $19,000+.

Now taking away comm, detailing, checking the vette out and fixing what is wrong if anything, overhead, new tires and a limited warranty doesn't bother me. What bothered me is the comment "there wasn't a market for that year".

It must be tough being a car salesperson in a non high line dealership.

Alan

p.s. this was in 2003, sorry to not have mentioned it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom