Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do I need to drop the steering column to remove my speedo/tach panel?

Derrick

Corvette
1975 Coupe
I need to remove the driver side panel with speedo and tach to get to the 4x6 speaker in the dash pad, and I also need to patch some water leaks in the same area......

I've tried removing all of the screws in the panel, but the panel is still wedged in there pretty good. Will I need to drop the steering column or just pull harder on the panel?

Steering Column

YES- you do have to remove the two 1/2 bolts that hold the column up. If you want to pull the dash top holding the 4X6's you'll need to remove all the windshield header moulding (starting w/ the sunvisors). That's what I would do if working on the speakers.

Richard

Ok thanks, I may end up leaving the speakers. They are aftermarket pioneers right now. I was going to replace them with something that could handle a little more power.

As long as I can get to my last set of water leaks on the driver side I'll be more than happy. I've been waiting to put in a new carpet set since December, but it's been taking a while to find all of those pesky water leaks.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Derrick said:
As long as I can get to my last set of water leaks on the driver side I'll be more than happy. I've been waiting to put in a new carpet set since December, but it's been taking a while to find all of those pesky water leaks.

Check up around the windshield. Sometimes, you'll have them there along the cowl. T-top weather stripping joints and along the door whisker. Those were my C3's problem areas. Good luck!!

Check out the windshie;d post area carefully. Pesky leaks are sometimes a sign that the post is rusted and rotting. That is a major repair you hope is not on the horizon.

Well, that was a PITA job! My column wouldn't drop all of the way, so I had to reach behind the panel and unscrew the gauges, and remove them. The good news is I finally fixed all of the leaks. There was one rust hole in the post, but not that big, and the others were from the pan below the windshield. I'm glad I can finally install my new carpet set! Thanks for the help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom