Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do LT1 heads fit L83?

AussieCorvetteNut

Corvette
1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
Just looking at heads cam and intake options for upgrading the L83 in my 84.

Do LT1 heads fit on an L83...

I would like to upgrade to a roller cam and lifters, and 1.6 roller rockers.

If you are talking about 70-72 LT1 heads...yes they will "fit" your L83.

Will they work well?

No...at least not without significant changes to the cross fire injection system, the cam profile, the exhaust and to the ECM calibration.

If you are talking about 70-72 LT1 heads...yes they will "fit" your L83.

Will they work well?

No...at least not without significant changes to the cross fire injection system, the cam profile, the exhaust and to the ECM calibration.

Hi Hib,

Thanks for chiming in...yeah looks like I was barking up the wrong tree.

I am finally in the middle of pulling the engine and trans out of my 84 Coupe, transmission is the 4+3, with no working overdrive.
I started to do the water pump and got all pumps and pulleys off and thought you know this engine needs to come out.
While I was removing and tagging under the car, I noticed a small drop of coolant on the bellhousing inspection plate and thought maybe rear welch plug or inlet manifold.
I couldn't get a reply from Richmond after your suggestion, so have opted for a Tremec TKO 600 conversion, that later though, I am pulling the L83 and going for a rebuild...it will give me a chance to clean and replace brakes and suspension components anyway, while the engine is out.

I am looking at basically changing the top end on the L83, but it must be EFI. My brother in law is in my ear about dropping a TPI injection system on, but I am keen to see if there are other options.

From what I have gathered, the L83 was basically starved of air flow, pretty much on purpose so that it did not out perform the upcoming L98.
I would like to use the L83 block, change the heads, decent cam (roller), roller rockers and EFI.

Trouble is, unlike my old L81 I had, I wouldn't know what works...I was looking at the later LT1 set ups mainly for the EFI systems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tony

The LT1 is reverse flow cooling, so I'm pretty sure that makes it a no go with your existing block.
You might consider the l31 vortec head. Similar combustion chamber to the LT1 but drops right onto your block. Not sure about fuel injection options though.

The LT1 is reverse flow cooling, so I'm pretty sure that makes it a no go with your existing block.
You might consider the l31 vortec head. Similar combustion chamber to the LT1 but drops right onto your block. Not sure about fuel injection options though.

Yeah the old reverse flow, cooling the heads first shuts me down.

I will check out the profile of the L31 heads, and see what fuel injection option there are.

Thanks for your help, really good info here.

Thanks

Tony

Slowly removing engine and trans

Hi Guys,

Slowly removing the driveline, driveshaft and gearbox is now out.
Front pulleys, engine covers, dizzy and radiator are all out.

Providing the crank and block are ok, I am looking at:
Edelbrock 60975 heads - suit retro roller cam upgrade Etec 170
Edelbrock retro roller cam kit 22015 - includes roller cam, lifters, push rods
Edelbrock timing chain 7800
Edlebrock intake 7516

I am also looking at the Estreet E3600 bolt on EFI system.
just have to check hood clearance to see if we are modifying it.

Edelbrock rate this combo with an 800 cfm carb at 435HP on a standard 4 bolt block, compression 9.5:1

Have spoken to supplier about the EFI system, I should be able to use my original fuel lines, but upgrade the fuel pump, which I had to do anyway.

Planning on slotting the Tremec TKO 600 behind this using one of SST's kits.

Now, back to job hunting, as it is free to disassemble, but costs big bucks to rebuild.

Cheers

Tony

Some pics

Sme pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 122

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom