Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

does anyone know? Digital Dash

L

LarryK 87

Took the dash apart lastweek end, i had several LCD elements out, cleaned the glass edges, Conductive foam edges, and the Circuit bd contacts. Only the center secton seems to be having any problems, and in looking at the conductive foam strips, i am guessing that due to age they are simply not contacting the edges as they should. They appear to need a bit of a compressive contact to assure proper mating, but due to age they are a bit wrinkled (due to 15+years of being compressed into place.

So does anyone know where or if these can be purchesed? Or if there is some way of straightening them out to restore the original dimensions?

Yes I know

Typically theres enough length to get proper contact even with the wrinkle in the pink bit.

You could lay em flat and heat em up with a hair drier......

I have some of the pink bits...

Do you need the center ones

Or the tach/speedo ones ( there different )

I assume you have chunks of the display not indicating

Vig!

Or the tach/speedo ones ( there different )

oh, now that i did NOT want to hear. I did not see any differance between the center ones ( there are differances in length or course).

The Speedo, and Tach work fine, it is the center ones that are missing elements.

And no, i did not think to try a hair dryer... but good point, it isn't that difficult to pull it apart again.

The number of connections in the "Pinkies"

ARE different.....

Hold the end up to a light and turn it slightly to catch a reflection... you will see shinny bits on the ends in the black area.

Those are the "wires" ( conductive paths ).

You cannot sub the two the spacing is different.

Vig!

AND

If you have the SMALLEST crack in the glass
GAME OVER!

Vig!

ok, no cracks in the glass, i can cause each element to "illuminate" ( actually polorize to clear ) with a cotton swab gently rubbed over the contact points on the LCD glass edges, so i am confident the glass is fine.

The pink conductors are a differant story, I guess i will have to pull it again, and take a good look at the conductive center, then re-align them ( dash had been apart at least once before i got it, and i did ( the first time ) make sure they all went back where they came from, Still missing elements. This last time i did a full dis-assemble, re-flowed all the chips, and connectors, but just piled up the pink foam connectors lay'd them under a weight for a day or so ( 2 -3 pounds), then re-assembled it again, some areas better, others no change. But now with your info, i may have simply gotten one back where it belonged, but not the rest.

well, at least i am becoming very adept at r&r'ing the panel
just have to do it again..... thanks for the info.

The center section glass

There should be 4 pink pearl ( Erasers ) for the contact points.

Sometimes when you slide em back in the black plastic ( Retainers/ guides )
One side binds and will not sit flat on the glass.... it's kinda trickey.

Vig!

hmm i have a problem kinda on this subject

my dash goes out some times when i hit a bump
or sometimes just goest out when it feels like it

I assume its a poor ground
any of u know where to find this ground at?

LCD's available?

Dear All,

As a related question, does anyone know a source who sells LCD panels?

Thanks,

Shadowing;

There is a ground attached to the body at the passenger's side door hinge panel, and one on one of the driver's side trans bell-housing mounting bolts (this is how the 84 is, I imagine 85 is similar?) Another likely cause could be a poor solder connection on one of the cluster circuit boards, or the inter-connector between the two boards.

As a related question, does anyone know a source who sells LCD panels?

I would like to know this as well, as my center LCD has three cracked "fingers" on the corner of the glass.

Bill

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom