Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does C6 steering wheel fit C5? -or any alternative wheels?

Bluemill

Corvette
2000 Navy targa
I think the C5 is a classically beautiful car, like the midyears, '57 fuelie, and the '57 T-Bird. If there is anything that's flawed it's the steering wheel.

Is the 2006 and newer wheel a "safe" fit for a C5? Or put another way, will it fit, and will the airbag still function?

I know it wouldn't be cheap, but you may get lucky like my son did last Christmas. He found a 2006 shifter for like $100 on e-bay. It fits like a glove, the bushing is snappier, and the throws are shorter.

Best,

Bluemill

I think the C5 is a classically beautiful car, like the midyears, '57 fuelie, and the '57 T-Bird. If there is anything that's flawed it's the steering wheel.

Is the 2006 and newer wheel a "safe" fit for a C5? Or put another way, will it fit, and will the airbag still function?

I know it wouldn't be cheap, but you may get lucky like my son did last Christmas. He found a 2006 shifter for like $100 on e-bay. It fits like a glove, the bushing is snappier, and the throws are shorter.

Best,

Bluemill

I know this is an old thread, but did an answer ever come up for this question? I love the look of the 06 and up wheel too.

I can't recall seeing it ever done but all things are no doubt possible with time and money......I would bet not but somebody will know for sure......

Maybe C4C5speciallist will chime in here, if anyone would know, Paul will.

Since one can't really keep up with the aftermarket offerings for these cars I thought perhaps there may have been a kit made to adapt or the like...

Funny enough... I find the 2006+ steering wheel to be one of the cheapest looking things that the C6 has attached to it. There is something about the center plastic part that simply looks cheap.

In my opinion the 2012 Centennial edition in 4LT trim is by far the nicest interior of any Corvette... yet it has this plastic junky steering wheel center staring at you in the face.

The good news for those that like it is you should be able to pick one up for cheap out of any of the other Chevy vehicles that use it. Like the Cobalt, Malibu, and HHR. Even better news is Chevy made it in a few different colors so if you have say, a tan interior, you can get a matching wheel (the tan by the way, for some reason, has a much nicer looking center plastic part) I also think some of the Cobalt cars came with color matching wheels (i.e. red) so they may or may not match/look good in a C5

I was told there was a difference in number of splines. Inwouldn't
mind using a C6 wheel in my C4 ZR.

Funny enough... I find the 2006+ steering wheel to be one of the cheapest looking things that the C6 has attached to it. There is something about the center plastic part that simply looks cheap.

In my opinion the 2012 Centennial edition in 4LT trim is by far the nicest interior of any Corvette... yet it has this plastic junky steering wheel center staring at you in the face.

The good news for those that like it is you should be able to pick one up for cheap out of any of the other Chevy vehicles that use it. Like the Cobalt, Malibu, and HHR. Even better news is Chevy made it in a few different colors so if you have say, a tan interior, you can get a matching wheel (the tan by the way, for some reason, has a much nicer looking center plastic part) I also think some of the Cobalt cars came with color matching wheels (i.e. red) so they may or may not match/look good in a C5

With the addition of radio controls and paddle shift trans controls on the C6 steering wheel, I would think it would be more trouble than it's worth to put a C6 wheel on an older Vette.

Additionally, you could go to a recycling business (junk yard) and buy a C6 steering wheel and see if it can be made to fit.

I'd probably buy a couple of busted ones (one of each - cheaper) and then compare the splines, dimensions, wiring harness, etc.

As someone posted, same wheel used in Malibu, CTS, HHR etc. those probably are not as complex since paddle shift not involved. Airbag certainly a question tho.

old school MOMO

It's a shame that with the air bags and stuff, you can't just order up a classy wood wheel from MOMO or MG Mitten. :cool!:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom