Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does your cockpit get hot?????

Joe8915

Corvette
1990 Blue Steel
Why does it get so dang hot inside the cockpit, is that normal ? It was our first real hot day of the year. I am a first time owner. Also, at the end of day I noticed my car driver side door started to rub against the battery cover. At least that is what I call it. I am sure you know what I am talking about. O yes its a 1990 coupe. I sure did see alot of you guys out there this weekend.

Those pesky heat problems go away if you keep the speedo into the 3-digit range. I believe it's a digital thingy between the various gizmos.
When I'm stopped the heat will climb, and then I suggest to my passenger that she could remove her shirt and pants to get more comfortable. I try to keep my heart rate high enough so body temp is never the critical issue, as long as it's still thumping and pumping - alles is gut. Of course - I am evil.

Why does it get so dang hot inside the cockpit, is that normal ? It was our first real hot day of the year. I am a first time owner. Also, at the end of day I noticed my car driver side door started to rub against the battery cover. At least that is what I call it. I am sure you know what I am talking about. O yes its a 1990 coupe. I sure did see alot of you guys out there this weekend.

In my 86, the vacuum operated valve that controls the hot water entering the heater core does not operate properly and I closed mine using a tie-wrap, helps alot.
- Tom

If you think the cockpit is hot now wait till you put headers on it.
Then you will find out what heat really is.

Those pesky heat problems go away if you keep the speedo into the 3-digit range. I believe it's a digital thingy between the various gizmos.
When I'm stopped the heat will climb, and then I suggest to my passenger that she could remove her shirt and pants to get more comfortable. I try to keep my heart rate high enough so body temp is never the critical issue, as long as it's still thumping and pumping - alles is gut. Of course - I am evil.

That crack me up, I will give that a try;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL;LOL

If you think the cockpit is hot now wait till you put headers on it.
Then you will find out what heat really is.
Ya, like I can afford something like that. Everytime I ask a wrench, how much, it takes a minute to catch my second breath. So I think the headers can wait a few. Boy that does sound like a great idea. Fathers day is comming around, hmmmmm.

Try window tinting, specially that big one in the back!

Try window tinting, specially that big one in the back!

Heck we had the Top off, so I guess it would not matter if the window was tinted or not. It just seems that it generates so much heat in there. At one time we had to throw the air on.

When you read my orginal post, I mention the battery cover. I guess it was so warm that the plastic warp a little and the cover was rubbing against the door. When I got up the next morning, everything was back to normal, no rubbing the door pannel.

Being a first time owner, really keeps you on your toes. Not like owning ford, just kidding.

Try running the A/C. It is an amazing concept that has been around for a few years now and is a standard item now days on most cars including corvettes. :W Stay Cool:mad

I notice that in the winter you rarely have to use the heat. Summer to me is not noticeable cause I usually have the top off. I believe there is insulation under the car from what I remember. Perhaps yours is missing??? The consol area where the shifter is gets hot on mine. Hey, it's a hot car ... all around!

You don't know hot until you've driven a late 60's big block with headers.

if it is a targa top, you can get a static sun screen from Mid America for around $25. I have one and they do keep it cooler. As far as your gill panel scraping. you can loosen the two 10MM bolts and screws in the wheel well and move it to stop the scraping. This will chip the paint for sure. The bottom 10 MM bolt is hard to see , just look between the rocker and the bottom of the panel.

Here is some good info on the C4's
http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2

if it is a targa top, you can get a static sun screen from Mid America for around $25. I have one and they do keep it cooler. As far as your gill panel scraping. you can loosen the two 10MM bolts and screws in the wheel well and move it to stop the scraping. This will chip the paint for sure. The bottom 10 MM bolt is hard to see , just look between the rocker and the bottom of the panel.

Here is some good info on the C4's
http://www.corvetteforum.com/techtips/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2

HPG, how do you keep the static cling sunscreen in place? :confused
I picked up the sunscreen for basically nothing in an Ebay package deal, but I received no instructions;help
I've put it on twice, only to see it drop to the floor after being in our lovely Oklahoma heat for several hours.:mad
Thanks

HPG, how do you keep the static cling sunscreen in place? :confused
I picked up the sunscreen for basically nothing in an Ebay package deal, but I received no instructions;help
I've put it on twice, only to see it drop to the floor after being in our lovely Oklahoma heat for several hours.:mad
Thanks
I put in on just after I bought the car, a year and half ago. I took the top off and cleaned the plastic and then rubbed it with some alcohol to be sure it was clean. Rub the top with a clean cotton towel or rag. This charges the top with static. Place the cling on and work out the air bubbles. It's like putting up wallpaper, take your time. Roll it up tightly and then unroll it into the top. Once up, it should stay in place. I had one on my 88 for over two years and it was still in place when I sold the car.

early c4's had rubber softseals on the hood latch brackets that stopped hot air from discharging thru the hood/door gap right in front of the door mirror...most later c4's (that i have seen, not something of focus) do not have that softseal...i removed my softseals to decrease underhood temps and the hot air flow is noticeable with side windows down.

with your engine at 200*F and exhaust manifolds up to 1200*F, underhood temps, which also transfer to the cockpit, go up rapidly when you stop and airflow thru the engine compartment also stops, until water temp gets to a preset point and the ecm turns on the radiator fan(s)...turning on your a/c will command the ecm to run the base radiator fan at all times and help keep everything a bit cooler...won't turn on the second fan in front of the radiator (if you have that option) tho...low temp preset sensors are available from your local auto parts store to fool the ecm into early fan call, or a simple toggle switch to ground the respective fan relay (thats all the ecm does to turn on the fan) can be wired in parallel with the ecm fan call to allow ecm control to remain but with manual over-ride.

No heat problems here. My climate control seems to keep everything comfy. Toasty warm in the winter and nice and coold in the summer.

MIke

I know what you are talking about with the heat. I am trying to stop the heat in my cockpit too. I was told to get some insulation from Summit Racing and place it under the center console.

I know what you are talking about with the heat. I am trying to stop the heat in my cockpit too. I was told to get some insulation from Summit Racing and place it under the center console.

That is where most of the heat is comming from, I will take your advise

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom