Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Doing Your Own Front End Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always done my own front end alignments using a simple home made tool. If you are interested in learning how just ask and I shall tell you.

Aligning Your Own Front End

Gee, I thought a lot of people would want to learn how to align their own front ends but I guess not. They would rather pay someone to do it. Oh well..................

Ok, I'll bite.

I have a C6 Z06 with FE4. Tell me how to set my own front and rear alignments.

Gee, I thought a lot of people would want to learn how to align their own front ends but I guess not. They would rather pay someone to do it. Oh well..................

Maybe they figure why ask? If you want to tell people how, just tell them and stop the "mother may I" game. Or maybe we already know how to do it using the 4 wheel string method which has previously been discussed here?

Maybe they figure why ask? If you want to tell people how, just tell them and stop the "mother may I" game. Or maybe we already know how to do it using the 4 wheel string method which has previously been discussed here?

Please explain how you can set the caster and camber angles using strings.

Aligning Your Own Front End

I suppose you think it's impossible to align a C3 front end with the wheels off? Think again as I have been doing it on all of my Ford, Chrysler, and G.M. cars since I was a kid and have taught many others how to do it. Are you interested in learning how?

I suppose you think it's impossible to align a C3 front end with the wheels off? Think again as I have been doing it on all of my Ford, Chrysler, and G.M. cars since I was a kid and have taught many others how to do it. Are you interested in learning how?

No, I was laughing at how appropriate Tnovot's post was, but please, carry on.

As this is a C3 forum I am referring to aligning the front end of a C3. And I do it with the wheels off!

Ok. I'll get the car up on stands and I'll pull the wheels.

You are a mechanical engineer and have many years working on Corvettes. you should know that an alignment is an alignment whether the car is a 1971 or a 2012. Both types of cars have adjustments for setting alignment.

Tell me how to do my own alignment on my 2012 Z06 with FE4 suspension.

Inquiring minds want to know.

perhaps nobody is interested....

if you do a search,there are already plenty of threads on front end alignments.

I'm still anxious to learn how to do my own front/rear alignments. The last time I had my '12 aligned it cost me a ton. I'm cheap so I'm all ears on how you do it.

Last edited:
Ok. I get it. This is a C3 forum and, by rights, I shouldn't be talking about my '12 Z06.

Let's talk about my 71 Big-Block Coupe. It needs a front and rear alignment, too.

Hey "toobroketoretire" where's our briefing on how to do DIY alignments?

Ok. I get it. This is a C3 forum and, by rights, I shouldn't be talking about my '12 Z06.

Let's talk about my 71 Big-Block Coupe. It needs a front and rear alignment, too.

Hey "toobroketoretire" where's our briefing on how to do DIY alignments?

He only offered front end alignments. Without doing the rear at the same time, may as well not bother.

I'm out.

Health Issue

I haven't forgotten about you guys. I am trying to deal with a very painful health issue that has come up and hopefully I can get back to you for alignment instructions in another week or so. So please be patient in the meantime.

He only offered front end alignments. Without doing the rear at the same time, may as well not bother.

I'm out.

I swear this guy is a plant by Rob to get more hits on his website..........:)

Now that makes more sense than toobroke telling us that trunions are making a comeback ☺

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I'm out.

PAY (gladly) to get 4 wheel align--toe,caster, camber..done professionally on a computer alignment. DO not go to some in and out alignment tire shop..find a good specialty alignment shop. And..for most C3 do not use old service shop manual specs..do some on line research for the alignment specs..no need for me to post em..because no one should believe on line posts from old codgers anyway..DO be sure wheel bearings, bushings, ride height are all good before doing alignment..do align all 4, do be sure the shop is exact..check the print out. Once your vette has good bearings/bushings, ride height, tires..and alignment to modern spec...amazing improvement in handling, and no more wandering.

As to do it yourself with strings, boards, mirrors and alchemy..I am out.
Nick

PAY (gladly) to get 4 wheel align--toe,caster, camber..done professionally on a computer alignment. DO not go to some in and out alignment tire shop..find a good specialty alignment shop. And..for most C3 do not use old service shop manual specs..do some on line research for the alignment specs..no need for me to post em..because no one should believe on line posts from old codgers anyway..DO be sure wheel bearings, bushings, ride height are all good before doing alignment..do align all 4, do be sure the shop is exact..check the print out. Once your vette has good bearings/bushings, ride height, tires..and alignment to modern spec...amazing improvement in handling, and no more wandering.

As to do it yourself with strings, boards, mirrors and alchemy..I am out.
Nick
I agree, before I left automotive I would align my vehicles once a year. And then when I did I would check it a week later, most of the time make a very small adjustment. I would then recheck it a week later just to be sure.
When is free why not.

As for specs factory specs are for a fully loaded vehicle, who drives a fully loaded vehicle?

All my cars and trucks are set to max caster (for highway drivability) and +.2L - 0R camber
Toe in I found the OEM setting is best

Rears are factory

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom