Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Dome doesnt work when door is opened but works when headlight switch is turned back

samm

Corvette
1981 candy apple rocket
Im trying to diagnose my door jamb switches.I have a 1981 corvette.white,blue,beige wires connected to driver switch and blue and white on passenger side.my dome light goes on when headlight switch is turned backwards but not when i open one of the doors.

any suggestions and where can i test for power first coming in.;help

check the door switches
if you have service manual you will find schematics in there!!:thumb:thumb

Hello Samm, i'm sure it's time to change the courtesy light relay control(delay timer).It 's positioned behind the glove box on the right side.

Im trying to diagnose my door jamb switches.I have a 1981 corvette.white,blue,beige wires connected to driver switch and blue and white on passenger side.my dome light goes on when headlight switch is turned backwards but not when i open one of the doors.

The courtesy delay timer is a simple fix and the pin switches in the doors should be checked as well. I did mine and I am no mechanic so, its all pretty straight forward. The schematics in your manual make it fairly easy.

Based on my 81 shop manual TS section; Door switches only provide a path to ground, which activates the delay timer & to turn on the Ctsy Lights. The two door switches only provides seperate ground paths to activate the delay timer. The timer gets power from the 20 Amp Gages Fuse, pink/black wire and on the orange wire from the "CLK, CTSY 20 amp Fuse". If power at timer checks good w/ a test light, at the timer connections. Plus other wire connections at the timer are in good condition and the black wire (gnd) is verified good, also dis-connect and reconnect the connections at timer. If this doesn't correct the problem, then the timer become the prime failure suspect. A good rule of thumb with older electrical connections, always dis-connect, check for dis-colored, burnt, broken, deformed, contaminated contacts, etc and always double check all recent work areas for security & correctness.
Hope this long winded input makes sense and provides some helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom