Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

door ajar switch

spikebot 81

Corvette
81 white, not stock
Could someone tell me if the door ajar switch, located in front door jamb, doubles as a courtesy light also. The right side switch and wires are intact but the left side wires are missing. My dome and floor lamps work ok with the headlight switch but I dont know if the lights should come one when the door is open. Thanks Mark

My 81 only has front switches too, I think its the same switch for both alarm and lights, I don't have the Ctsy light circuit on line so I'll have to put it up tonight

The door ajar switches in front are for the ctsy and the alarm (if you still have the alarm).

Groeten Peter

Mike, I dont see a rear swicth. I have a 81.

Ooops. My bad. That's what I get for having an early car ('68) and a later one ('80). There are two switches on each door for the earlier cars; only one per side on the later cars.

:)

Well thats good info. I think the alarm is still in place but it wont activate. I wonder if it might need the wires at the left door switch to complete the circit. Another trouble shooting task for me. Thanks to bubba for giving me somthing to do. No sign of the pigtail or any wires to the switch. But at least I have the switch and it tests ok, no rust either. Any ways looks like the same switch does both jobs. Thats a start.

After you set the alarm by locking your drivers side door with your key you enable the alarm circuit. When one of the swithes closes the circuit then the alarm is activated which is the horn on drivers side just behind and below the washer fluid resevoir. I troubleshot mine down to the horn. I replaced and now the alarm works like a champ.

Thanks Guys. I have tester in hand and will start checking circuts till dinner time. Mark

Interior lights should come on when you open the door. Also there is a delay timer on the right side of the glove box ( have to take glover box out ). If the timer is bad No interior lights. I had this happen on my 80. I pulled the timer out and put a jumper wire from white wire to other white wire on the delay timer harness. Now have interior lights when opening the doors , but no delay when closing the door. Not having the wiring for the left door could be a problem ?? Guess i was to cheap to pay about $60.00 for a new timer. Bigbird help me get this solved . He knows his stuff. Dave :w
ACORVETTE81REDCORVETTE81REDCORVE-2.jpg

:beer

Dave, Holy crap your up early this am. But I guess I'm just as bad. Just went out to the garage in my robe to check the delay relay. Sure enough lights work with right side. door jam switch. Did you remove the delay timer or leave it in place and jumper the wires. I'm wondering if removing the delay will affect the alarm circut?

Not sure on the alarm, but yes i did eliminate the timer and ran the jumper wire at the wire harness that the delay timer was plugged into. Dave Ps. When you closed the door did the interior lights stay on for approx 15 seconds before they went out ???

Dave, Thanks to you for the info and big bird from days past. Now I just have to figure out what bubba did with the wires on the left side. Theres got to be a couple of clipped wires or a connector somewhere under the dash. I'll find em if it takes all morning. Thanks again

Its seems to there were 3 wires on the left side door jamb switch. Can't remember for sure ( maybe blue, white and brown ) That was on my 80. Know the feeling about attacking the problem. Think i messed with mine 3 weekends in a row. if you were too take the drivers side kick panel out , just maybe you will find the wires. Dave :beer

:bar

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom