Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door Panel Carpet

C

Corvette Craig

Has anyone ever removed the carpet on the 78/82 door panels?
I'd like to know on how to go about this and what to expect.

door carpet

Well.. some of the door carpet on my '72 is comming off. Seems to just be glued on. Whenever i've seen replacement door panels .. they are the same for both "Standard" and "deluxe" interior.

Of course the carpet is standard equipment on a 78-82 so...

3M makes a million different chemicals for this sort of thing. Glue disolvers etc. etc. Perhaps someone else could chime in?

-Gooney

Carpet Removal

Thanks Gooney,
I plan on replacing the carpet in the Vette this spring with a Silver/Black carpet.
I'm want to do the same with the door panels and was wondering what's under the carpet, more vinyl or what?

Carpet removal

I'm in the process if doing the same thing.I have the door panels off because I Re-Dyed them and if you pull the carpet away from the door panel it looks hard molded plastic, that is the door panel frame. It looks like the carpet has to be cut. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ed

Ed

Just wondering, did you just cut it out using a razor knife, and pull? What about the leather, did it pull away?
Any other problems?
I bought a "Carpet Paint" to try, but who knows how that will work, even I don't believe it will, and I payed for it.
I need a back up plan, actually would rather replace that carpet than paint it, but I'm concerned I'll screw it up.
Any suggetions?

Craig

I haven't done anything with the carpet on the door panel yet...
But it looks like it is sewn to the leather. I'm going to use a razor knife when i get to it.

Ed

I bought a carpet replacement set and the door panel pieces were included. They come sewn on to vinal pieces that are glued to the bottom of the door panel. Hope that helps.

Craig,

It's starting to smell like you'll end up replacing the entire panel(s). Ouch!! The carpet dye is another issue. I've seen black dye used and it looks great. (Of course it's hard to screw up black dye). Good luck.

......... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom