Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

door speakers

justin10morrissey

Corvette
1985 corvette
i am planning on putting to 6 1/2 kenwoods speakers in the doors of my 1985 any suggestions or pictures on how you have fit these or fabricated them to the doors would be helpful:w

i am planning on putting to 6 1/2 kenwoods speakers in the doors of my 1985 any suggestions or pictures on how you have fit these or fabricated them to the doors would be helpful:w
Oh, yeah.. that's a fun project! I made painted wood boxes; shaped to clear the windows, fit through the opening for insertion and protective of the speakers; as I did for the 6.5" Infinitys in mine. 6.5" speakers are not going to fit in the Bose box, but I somewhat copied the dimensions as a starting point.

Ensure you comply with the manufacturer's recommendations for enclosure, probably not so critical for non-subwoofer speakers.

I just inserted some protective baffles, sourced online, for the 6.5 inchers in our '55 Nash's front footwells. They are foam and somewhat cone-shaped and can be air (and water) tight. Online comments pushed me to make holes, low in them, to allow the speakers to breathe. While I have not yet tested the installed sound, the holes are reported to help the bass response and the low placement still affords water protection, as in a door. Those 'cones' might work in the Vette door and be easier than fitting boxes.

In the end, this system sounds way better than the Bose ever did, despite all the work and frustration in working in the tight spaces a Corvette offers us.

I am not a car audio expert, but am a bit of an audiophile. I think the small volume of the Corvette's interior and the road noise demands a high quality, high power system to drive the sound, especially the bass.

I also used FatMat throughout the interior but think it did little to quiet the interior, while adding lots of weight. This engine, thru the Flowmasters, rules the roost!

Oh, yeah.. that's a fun project! I made painted wood boxes; shaped to clear the windows, fit through the opening for insertion and protective of the speakers; as I did for the 6.5" Infinitys in mine. 6.5" speakers are not going to fit in the Bose box, but I somewhat copied the dimensions as a starting point.

QUOTE]
do you have any pics of your door speakers i would like to see. i just got my kenwood proseries for 40 off the internet and i was planning on cutting 1/4 pdf board to the square opening in the door and cutting for the speakers then wrapping the board in faux carbon fiber wrap to match the speakers i think it will turn out nice

I don't, but may be able to get some in a few days; thanks for asking. Pics won't show you a lot, as the hard part is behind the door panel and won't show too well from any photos.

I think you meant mdf (medium density particle) board. It will absorb water so consider sealing it well.

My grilles were hand carved from luan mahogany, in Manila, P.I. many years ago and are simple grates backed with speaker cloth. The wood picks up the theme of wood that I have elsewhere in the car. The largest difference from stock is that they are flat on the back, not angled like the stock plastic grilles, which would not clear the Infinity coaxial speakers.

You should consider making prototype cardboard boxes, taped securely, and rigid so they keep their shape as you try your design in the door. Ensure that the windows open fully and all wires are not snagged.

I don't, but may be able to get some in a few days; thanks for asking. Pics won't show you a lot, as the hard part is behind the door panel and won't show too well from any photos.

I think you meant mdf (medium density particle) board. It will absorb water so consider sealing it well.

My grilles were hand carved from luan mahogany, in Manila, P.I. many years ago and are simple grates backed with speaker cloth. The wood picks up the theme of wood that I have elsewhere in the car. The largest difference from stock is that they are flat on the back, not angled like the stock plastic grilles, which would not clear the Infinity coaxial speakers.

You should consider making prototype cardboard boxes, taped securely, and rigid so they keep their shape as you try your design in the door. Ensure that the windows open fully and all wires are not snagged.
ha thats funny the grilles are made in Manilla thats where my mother is from. i dont think im going to make it an enclosure on the inside like the original boses i heard the door itself provides enough space for good quality sound

dont think im going to make it an enclosure on the inside like the original boses i heard the door itself provides enough space for good quality sound
That may be, or not, but other considerations are the elements, like water and dirt fouling the speakers. You may find that other things rattle, degrading your sound. I recommend at least protecting the speakers.

Barely visible in the right pic, it the box surrounding my door speaker.

LSpeakerGrille.jpgLdoorSpeaker.jpg
The grille has a certain charm of handcrafting, I hope. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom