Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door switch and deciphering codes

jjones

Corvette
1992 black coupe, six speed
Greetings - haven't been here in a long time but that doesn't mean their ain't been trouble!

Can any one tell me what problems codes 23 and 31 will reveal? Also ASR 72. I've had dash light warnings on forever but noone can seem to find any problems.

Also - just how difficult is it to replace the door switch? It looks like a simple job. Couldn't believe how important that little bugger is. My Vette was constantly being robbed of amps due to radio staying on because of the old, stuck door switch. Had the other one replaced not too long ago. Must learn to do both when one goes due to age. You know the other ain't far behind!

Thanks.

Also - just how difficult is it to replace the door switch? It looks like a simple job. Couldn't believe how important that little bugger is. My Vette was constantly being robbed of amps due to radio staying on because of the old, stuck door switch. Had the other one replaced not too long ago. Must learn to do both when one goes due to age. You know the other ain't far behind!

Thanks.

For the door switch, read what I posted in THIS thread and see if it might work for you?

Good idea

Thanks - I've already tried to file it smooth(er) with a nail file and lub it but it is still sticking. I have to pull it out every time I open the door. I'm not opposed to replacing it -just was wondering how difficult a job it is. Till then I'll see if I can hunt up some rubber O rings. Thanks again.

It's not too hard to remove the door panels to get to the door ajar switch.

The switches are about $20 from most dealers and Corvette speciality companies like Eckler's, Mid-America, etc...

Oh so the door panels have to come off.... I was hoping it was just two screws and a wire! :chuckle

thanks

Oh so the door panels have to come off.... I was hoping it was just two screws and a wire! :chuckle

thanks

Don't believe you have to pull the door panels. I have some info I'll post later.

Some mentioned htis won't work on a 92, could be, but it works on a 95.

Try this

Lower screw..replace with a longer screw started into retainer to hold retaining plate in place.

Remove upper screw.

Pull switch outward & rotate to expose upper screw hole.

Reinstall upper screw to hold retainer.

Remove lower screw.

Pull switch outward & depress harness lock tab to allow passage of switch & harness thru opening.

Switch from harness.

Install or connect.........

Switch to harness.

Switch & harness into door.

Long screw thru switch & lower door screw hole into retainer.

Remove upper screw.

Rotate switch & install upper screw thru switch into retainer..

Remove lower screw & replacw with original.

Switch will adjust the first time you close the door.. Be firm, but donot slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK!

Now that's my kind of fixin' it. Thank God someone else already went thru all that and recorded the steps. Any reason why it's thought not to work on a '92?

I guess I could give it a try. But if it fails...how difficult is it to take off the door panel?

Thanks.

Don't believe you have to pull the door panels. I have some info I'll post later.

Some mentioned htis won't work on a 92, could be, but it works on a 95.

Try this

Lower screw..replace with a longer screw started into retainer to hold retaining plate in place.

Remove upper screw.

Pull switch outward & rotate to expose upper screw hole.

Reinstall upper screw to hold retainer.

Remove lower screw.

Pull switch outward & depress harness lock tab to allow passage of switch & harness thru opening.

Switch from harness.

Install or connect.........

Switch to harness.

Switch & harness into door.

Long screw thru switch & lower door screw hole into retainer.

Remove upper screw.

Rotate switch & install upper screw thru switch into retainer..

Remove lower screw & replacw with original.

Switch will adjust the first time you close the door.. Be firm, but donot slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That technique might work on a '92, but I know for a fact the door ajar switches are a different design from 1992 to '95.

How do I know? I purchased a switch off a 1995 car and it wouldn't fit my '92.

Different style connector and slight switch design, too.

That technique might work on a '92, but I know for a fact the door ajar switches are a different design from 1992 to '95.

How do I know? I purchased a switch off a 1995 car and it wouldn't fit my '92.

Different style connector and slight switch design, too.

That's good info to file.

Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom