Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drive only 10 mi. in a year-change oil?

Ruby Fan

Corvette
1985 Black Beauty Coupe, 93 Ruby, 96 CE vert
I know the manual says that no matter what the mileage, change the oil at least once a year. This past year only saw less than 10 miles on my '93 Ruby, and it really just sat in the garage. I did start it up every so often to keep all the seals in shape. So what do you think? Should I change the oil or just leave it? Thanks.:w

I would change it at least once a year. Changing your oil is one of the most important things to do to keep a long lasting/running engine!

Plus, its easy to do and cannot hurt only help!

Do NOT start the engine once in a while- you're not helping the seals at all and only adding tremendously to engine wear as well as deterioration of the exhaust system.

Do a search on winter storage.

If you do start it, take it for a good drive to get everything nice and hot.

Think MONTHS as well as miles.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

When I do start it, I get it to operating temp, a complete warm up. I have a '94 Trans Am,(LT1) that sat around awhile without starting, and when I did start it, the Anti-Freeze leaked from somewhere, so I'm thinking the water pump seal(to engine) dried out, that's why I warm up the '93 once in a while.

If you are just "saving" the car as an investment, drain it all down, put oil in the cylinders and put it in long term storage.

change it anyway

Change the Oil even if it does nothing for the car atleast you will have done something to your baby and might make you feel better knowing she is cared for.

How often do you change the antifreeze? If you do not you have a consistency of battery acid in your cooling system, check the coolant for acidity with a VO meter and if your at .5V change it ASAP. The high PH of your coolant is very damaging and expensive.

When I do start it, I get it to operating temp, a complete warm up. I have a '94 Trans Am,(LT1) that sat around awhile without starting, and when I did start it, the Anti-Freeze leaked from somewhere, so I'm thinking the water pump seal(to engine) dried out, that's why I warm up the '93 once in a while.

If you're using the recommended Mobil 1, and you've only driven the car 10 miles in a year, I wouldn't worry about changing the oil for another year or two, UNLESS....those occasional start-ups were actually, starts without warm up and that means running the engine until the coolant temp reaches normal and the oil temp gets to at least 150 degrees. If all those starts didn't meet that criteria, change the oil.

In the future, take the advice of several above and drive the car a ways each time you start it. I suggest 10-15 miles.

Additionally, change the coolant every 3 years. If you haven't done it, change the trans lubricant and the rear axle lube.

My start ups do bring the car to normal operating temps. I have put in 5 yr Dexcool, Red. There was a notice that you can back fill GM cars to '92 with the 5yr Red, which was changed last year.

How often do you change the antifreeze? If you do not you have a consistency of battery acid in your cooling system, check the coolant for acidity with a VOLT meter and if your at .2V change it ASAP. The low PH of your coolant is very damaging and expensive (and acidic.)
Fixed it for ya.
Might wanna look at the frozen pistons in your calipers too...:eek:hnoes

If you're using the recommended Mobil 1, and you've only driven the car 10 miles in a year, I wouldn't worry about changing the oil for another year or two, UNLESS....those occasional start-ups were actually, starts without warm up and that means running the engine until the coolant temp reaches normal and the oil temp gets to at least 150 degrees. If all those starts didn't meet that criteria, change the oil.

In the future, take the advice of several above and drive the car a ways each time you start it. I suggest 10-15 miles.

Additionally, change the coolant every 3 years. If you haven't done it, change the trans lubricant and the rear axle lube.

Hib, are you suggesting changing the coolant every 3 years for all street Vettes or just his 10 mile per year example?
RG

I suggest changing coolant every 3 yrs or 36,000 miles in any Corvette which is not using Dexcool.

Well...the jury is out in that IMO. I'm not sure I agree with GM's recommendations for drain intervals for coolant mixes using Dexcool.

Also, I made a typo in my earlier post on the issue. Silly me. I sometimes forget my own "specifications".

For engines using a conventional antifreezes with silicate-based corrosion inhibiter packages, I suggest changing every 2yrs/24,000 miles.

For engines using an antifreeze with a calcium-based corrosion inhibiter package (ie: Dexcool and others) I'd go every 3 yrs/36,000 miles.

These are very conservative recommendations and, no doubt, there are some engines which go more time/miles between coolant changes and do well.

Sorry for the confusion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom