Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drivers door window doesn't always work.

Corvette
2001 mag.red 6spd coupe
And getting worse.:ugh 2001 Coupe, 23,000 miles and no codes. Usually slamming it will help. It was 45 this morning and it didn't start working till above 60. What needs to be replaced, window switch maybe? Thanks for any help.

Mark

It's generally either the window regulator or the motor. Given that slamming the door seems to get it working, I'd lean toward motor. There's a thread floating around here that talks about it.

I have an '04 that turned 52k miles today. I've recently had a similar issue with my passenger door. But I'm losing ALL power to it, window, lock, mirror, the whole works. On mine, opening the door ALL the way and reclosing it usually allows me to get the window back up, or down, which ever way it needs to go.

Speaking with a certified Corvette tech in my area, I was informed that the power harness connectors that feeds the door can get corroded. If I understood correctly, to fix mine, the connectors that connect the body side harness with the door harness have to be cut off and replaced with new ones.

Just an idea for ya.

Thanks for the ideas. It's worked everytime since posting. It has only refused to come up. And everything else seems to work. After doing some other reading i'm going to let it go for now and see what happens.

Mark

I'll say this......intermittent problems are very hard to trace. It is way easier to find a problem that exists rather than one that is there "sometimes". It does sound like a ground problem or a connecter problem.

Found a couple of article on another site:

"If you are referring to the "don't use it, you lose it" passenger window rolling down, than this is a known issue with C5s. This can be easily resolved without replacing regulator. Simply remove the small cover behind the inside door handle and taking a screwdriver with a hammer, lightly tap on the screw head while pressing the down button. This worked for me.

It is also advisable to roll down the window on a regular basis to keep it in working order.

If this does not resolve your issue, there is a video out there that shows the regulator removal and installation process. In line with the other reply, this can be located by doing a Google search.

Hope this helps."

If you are going to replace the regulator there is an excellent set of instructions:

"Do a google search for vette essentials (custom interiors). There is an installation instruction button on the left hand side of the screen. Select that and then select the section for installing door handles. It will give you step- by-step instuctions on removing the door panel (to include all of the tools you need to do the job)."

Found a couple of article on another site:

"If you are referring to the "don't use it, you lose it" passenger window rolling down, than this is a known issue with C5s. This can be easily resolved without replacing regulator. Simply remove the small cover behind the inside door handle and taking a screwdriver with a hammer, lightly tap on the screw head while pressing the down button. This worked for me.

It is also advisable to roll down the window on a regular basis to keep it in working order.

If this does not resolve your issue, there is a video out there that shows the regulator removal and installation process. In line with the other reply, this can be located by doing a Google search.

Hope this helps."

If you are going to replace the regulator there is an excellent set of instructions:

"Do a google search for vette essentials (custom interiors). There is an installation instruction button on the left hand side of the screen. Select that and then select the section for installing door handles. It will give you step- by-step instuctions on removing the door panel (to include all of the tools you need to do the job)."

I've seen both of these and saved the instructions. My problem is the drivers window doesn't always want to come up. It has always gone down. When it works it seems normal. It isn't slow, noisey or jerky.

Mark

I had the passenger window regulator replaced under my extended warranty. It would go down fine but stop in different locations on the way up.

And getting worse.:ugh 2001 Coupe, 23,000 miles and no codes. Usually slamming it will help. It was 45 this morning and it didn't start working till above 60. What needs to be replaced, window switch maybe? Thanks for any help.

Mark

Same happened to me. Was in denial and went after every electrical connection I could find that had any connection to the window. Finally replaced window motor. No need to buy entire regulator apparatus. Problem solved. Go to USAUTOPARTS.com My motor was $46.15 and so is yours, I just checked. Good luck.

Dave

Same happened to me. Was in denial and went after every electrical connection I could find that had any connection to the window. Finally replaced window motor. No need to buy entire regulator apparatus. Problem solved. Go to USAUTOPARTS.com My motor was $46.15 and so is yours, I just checked. Good luck.

Dave

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom