Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Driver's Window is loose, wind noise

Sculptor Pete

Corvette
2000 Artic White Coupe
I just bought a 2000 C5. The Driver's window is loose (in and out, not side to side). It rattles when closing the door and I get a little wind noise when driving. Any thought on a fix?

Thanks,
Sculptor Pete

1st Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy..
someone who has more knowledge about C-5's than me
should be along shortly to help you!!!:thumb

First off Welcome to CAC and congrats on the C5 purchase. I'm no bodyman, but if you have the Service manuals there is a section that talks about adjusting the windows, in my 2001 books, it is section 8-1031 thru 1033. It has instructions and drawings. If you don't have the service manuals (mines a three volume set) you should really consider buying a set. Maybe one of our body guys will look in here and give you some pointers. Junkie are you out there?

You might try a window adjustment, not that bad for the average owner to do.

The rear tip in adjusters for the windows ARE located right behind the red reflectors on the door panels. You DO NOT have to remove the door panel to get to it. The reflector is held in by two tabs at the top and a spring steel clip at the bottom. Pry up from the bottom carefully to remove it and gain access to the rear tip-in adjustment screw. Back off the lock nut (10 mm) and turn adjusting threaded rod (4 mm hex head) ccw to increase tip-in, cw to decrease. No need to hold the 18mm window regulator pulley inside the door.

The rubber grommet under the door at the rear gives access to the aforementioned 18mm, and a height adjuster (with the window rolled down).

Front tip-in and height adjustment is under the rubber grommet at the front. Similar to the rear, but entire assembly slides transversely with the body of the car. You'll see the slot and see what I am trying to say.

Go easy on the adjustments and plan on making more the one attemp to correct the problem. The seals need to re-adjust to your changes and may create another leak in other places. No problem if you go at it with some caution.

Anything over 130 MPH they will leak air and the passenger seat will start making more noise the other air leak.:L

Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Thanks for jumping in here Dad.

You might try a window adjustment, not that bad for the average owner to do.

The rear tip in adjusters for the windows ARE located right behind the red reflectors on the door panels. You DO NOT have to remove the door panel to get to it. The reflector is held in by two tabs at the top and a spring steel clip at the bottom. Pry up from the bottom carefully to remove it and gain access to the rear tip-in adjustment screw. Back off the lock nut (10 mm) and turn adjusting threaded rod (4 mm hex head) ccw to increase tip-in, cw to decrease. No need to hold the 18mm window regulator pulley inside the door.

The rubber grommet under the door at the rear gives access to the aforementioned 18mm, and a height adjuster (with the window rolled down).

Front tip-in and height adjustment is under the rubber grommet at the front. Similar to the rear, but entire assembly slides transversely with the body of the car. You'll see the slot and see what I am trying to say.

Go easy on the adjustments and plan on making more the one attemp to correct the problem. The seals need to re-adjust to your changes and may create another leak in other places. No problem if you go at it with some caution.

Anything over 130 MPH they will leak air and the passenger seat will start making more noise the other air leak.:L

Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Thanks! I will give it a try.

Thanks! I will give it a try.
Probly won't fix your rattle.:thumb
Might not not fix the air leak for long!!:thumb:thumb

Worn plastic sliders on the regulator rails will cause rattles when shutting the door and improper window alignment,Not uncommon on drivers door!

But the #1 cause I find for your problem is loose nuts at the top of the regulator rails,or the holes cracked around the nuts!:hb
If the nuts are loose,just tighten them and you probly won't need to adjust anything!:thumb:thumb
You will need to remove the door trim panel to check this. :thumb :beer

Last edited:
Thanks Jesse for commenting. I knew that you would have a suggestion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom