Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driveway Material

silver98

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe
OK fellow DIYers, I need to replace my single lane driveway, its shot! I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, and I mostly see macadam driveways. My parents live in Florida (there's a surprise) and have a concrete driveway. With the blacktop up here, there is the annual obligatory top sealling, the cracking, potholes, or depressions in the blacktop.
So, What Say You: redo the blacktop, or get the concrete?

I lOVE the smell of that black top sealer! Much cheaper... save some money to spend on your car.

No matter which you get, the one thing you need to concentrate on is the base. Most driveway people (residental) only put down 6 inches of stone. If I were you I would use 12 inches of recycled concrete. Then put on any top coat you like.

I live in central PA and I have all concrete...wouldn't have anything else....I used to have asphalt and I had all kinds of problems with it including the jack sinking in on a hot day to the point I about dropped the truck with the wheel off. Pay a little extra for concrete...you won't be sorry.

Concrete is the long-term solution; have only had one home (out of ten over the last 35 years) with an asphalt driveway, and I'd never have another one.

The only benefit to asphalt that I have found so far (over initial cost of installation) has been that in the winter, it is easier to push a snowblower across it - the concrete drive's used to "grab" and cause the snowblower to "buck"

- for the 5 times a year it snows, it is helpful to me ;)

My garage will be detached, and not part of the existing driveway etc. I'll likely just go gravel. I wonder what needs done even to do that. I imagine it isn't as easy as simply laying the gravel on top of the ground is it?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom