Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driving Habits

78SilvAnniv said:
Wouldn't even bat an eye to run over a creepy spider.
I think I would be more inclined to speed in any car other than my vette. I'll cite my earlier description of how labor intensive it is to drive the 78 at high speeds and that I prefer to enjoy my drives in the 78.
I want to see and be seen, not see and be seen as a blur.
The truck or other cars?...I don't care who sees what and I want to get the drive over as quickly as possible.
h

Interesting, Heidi,
This is almost the reverse of what others are saying, but I can understand your perspective.

And, yeah, I have no regrets about extinguishing the lives of spiders, either.

-Patrick

Patrick said:
Et tu, Ryan? :L
All my local buddies are throwin' me under the bus today.

Ryan, you have to admit, portions of E-470 are pretty desolate and void of traffic.

-Patrick
Oh you'll get no arguement against it from me. I'd be all for laws that allowed people to drive more aggressively or quickly based on traffic on the road, car, and experience. Of course such laws would be a nightmare to enforce and to be all inclusive.

Actually, I think that on the whole, I tend to drive a bit slower in the Vette. Red, sticks out, cops tend to follow it --------.

Back in my younger days up in Montana we had what was called, "Reasonable and Prudent" for a daytime speed limit. In other words, if the cop thought you and your vehicle could handle the speed, they left you alone. I use to drive from Culbertson (Eastern MT) to Bozeman (Western MT) which was a 490 mile trip in about 5 3/4 hours. This was in an El Camino with a slightly modified 350. Cruised really nice at about 110 mph. And, after we moved to Colorado, I use to take my TR-6 up thru Wyoming to Bozeman at well over 100 mph. The older I get, I just don't feel that my reaction times are quite as good as when I was in my 20's and 30's.
And, Patrick, I do know the difference between a Z06 and NVADER:D . Not that either one of you would ever exceed the speed limit;LOL

Scott

Patrick said:
Subtitle: "Do We Corvette Owners Have Only Ourselves To Blame?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And when you drive something other than the Vette, do you start feeling like you have to "behave" a little better on the road?

I'm curious to hear thoughts on this...

-Patrick

Nope. I drive a Hyundai Sonata as a company car/grocery getter most days, once in a great while I use my wife's Sebring convertible. Of the two, the better car is the Schwinn <g>.

In the 'Vette I figure I'm in a safer car - it goes when I want it to go, it stops when I want it to stop, it turns when I want it to turn...safer than a Volvo with the Jaws of Life in the trunk.

Obviously I drive the 'Vette differently - the Sonata and Sebring simply don't perform the way the Chevy does and can't be driven the same way. But I wouldn't consider it "behaving a little better" - I'd consider it realizing the limits of the hardware one is using.

Regards,

Jim

Patrick said:
Interesting, Heidi,
This is almost the reverse of what others are saying, but I can understand your perspective.
OMG, I'm turning into my mother. :cry

I admit I drive a bit more aggressively in the Vette, but I'm not obnoxious about it.
I got that out of the way in my early driving years, when all the cops knew my name.
I enjoy getting on it in the Vette, but almost every time I do around here I see a State Trooper, and I don't want to be known by sight, since there's only about 10 Corvettes within 30 miles.
The only problem I have is when I get in the Tahoe I reach to the console to shift, the problem being the shifter is on the steering column!:W

This is an interesting thread! I've been considering this for a few days.

The vette empowers my naturally aggressive driving, but I don't employ it much. Just when the spirit moves me... and when it moves me, it moves me fast ;)

What I have found is that I drive my other car much more aggressively, on a regular basis, than I would have before I owned the vette.

On Patrick's deserted straightaway, I would be inclinded to NAIL IT!

Tammy

Scottsredvette said:
And, Patrick, I do know the difference between a Z06 and NVADER:D . Not that either one of you would ever exceed the speed limit;LOL

Scott

GEEZ! The "throw Patrick under the bus" Colorado crowd continues!

Scott, let's make sure the record accurately reflects that the owner of NVADER is a type-A personality, strongly prone to be afflicted with Road Rage (particularly on Highway 24 between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park). That's why we always let him lead the pack on the Drive & Dines, it just prevents arguments. I'm usually a few cars behind Dan, and Bryan M is usually in front of me by at least a car or two. I just plod along with the flow of traffic. :D

MsSchroder said:
The vette empowers my naturally aggressive driving, but I don't employ it much. Just when the spirit moves me... and when it moves me, it moves me fast ;)

I bet... so, ah, Tammy... how often does the spirit move you? ;)

MsSchroder said:
What I have found is that I drive my other car much more aggressively, on a regular basis, than I would have before I owned the vette.

This is the first confirmation of my hypothesis when I started this thread. Deep down, I think there's a number folks here (myself included) who would eventually admit to the fact that owning a Vette has not only made them become more aggressive when driving the Vette, it's affected how aggressively they handle their other cars when behind the wheel there, too.

Thanks for the confirmation, Tammy!

-Patrick

Some people are just dangerous drivers no matter what they drive. Some people just want to go fast wherever they go, even if the car they're driving isn't capable of going fast and manuevering. I stay clear of those people!

Me, I drive normally everywhere unless I need to get there fast. If I'm working, I will have to bust out the James Bond driving manuevers!:L

Patrick said:
GEEZ!
Scott, let's make sure the record accurately reflects that the owner of NVADER is a type-A personality, strongly prone to be afflicted with Road Rage (particularly on Highway 24 between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park). That's why we always let him lead the pack on the Drive & Dines, it just prevents arguments. I'm usually a few cars behind Dan, and Bryan M is usually in front of me by at least a car or two. I just plod along with the flow of traffic. :D

-Patrick

I've got to admit, you've never rammed a Honda that wouldn't give up the left lane and you've never attacked a 4 X 4 chunk of wood with your run-flats, but, you've gotta admit, when we have our 25-30 car drive and dines, those of us in C4's are way behind you C5 drivers-
hmmmmmm, let me see, 89 automatic, 240 hp---Z06 6 speed, 405 hp--------
;)

Scott-

I keep tellin' ya, Scott, I just plod along with the flow of traffic. Call it the "safety in numbers" defense. :D

-Patrick

Scottsredvette said:
I've got to admit, you've never rammed a Honda that wouldn't give up the left lane and you've never attacked a 4 X 4 chunk of wood with your run-flats, but, you've gotta admit, when we have our 25-30 car drive and dines, those of us in C4's are way behind you C5 drivers-
hmmmmmm, let me see, 89 automatic, 240 hp---Z06 6 speed, 405 hp--------
;)

Scott-

You know that happens in our club too, maybe C5 speedometers are off!;)

I simply can't drive my other car like I can my vette. The 93 Taurus wagon wouldn't like high speed runs with no one around. I'm not sure I would like it either.:W

The wagon is a great everyday car. Pick up the kids, go to the store, haul the dogs to the vet, throw some wood in the back. But, don't ever be in a hurry in it.

The vette is the play car. Drive to work and let it just look good in the parking lot next to all the pickup trucks, look good just cruising. If I ever find a stretch of road like the one described, yes, I will speed. Alot. :D

Patrick said:
I bet... so, ah, Tammy... how often does the spirit move you? ;)

You know, it is really weird. One minute I'm calm, cool, and collected, and then I slide in the key, depress the clutch, and fire it up, as the motor roars to life and the garage trembles obediently, and suddenly....

The spirit moves me!!! ;LOL

I have noticed that I am much more able to deal with the idiot sheep drivers when I'm in the vette, than when I'm in the mazda. In the mazda, I find myself shouting "OUTTTA MY WAY, dumb *&#$&*ing sheep!!" or " The speed limit is 45!! WHAT IN THE HELL ARE you doing 45 for????!!!" but in the vette, I just think it quietly. :D What's up with that? :L

MsSchroder said:
I have noticed that I am much more able to deal with the idiot sheep drivers when I'm in the vette, than when I'm in the mazda. In the mazda, I find myself shouting "OUTTTA MY WAY, dumb *&#$&*ing sheep!!"

Patrick, She's bringing up sheep, has she ever been to Colorado?? We need to steer her up to Wyoming------

Scott

Interesting thread here.... I enjoy driving my Vettes slow and fast. The 71 really doesnt get jumped on to much.... Every so often Ill stomp on it to have the torque throw me into the seat but from a handling standpoint it doesnt match the C4 chassis. The C4 I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable zooming around. Going into exit ramps I seem to always be picking up some speed. On some wide open roads I have kicked it up a notch. One certainly feels more confident with the power, handling and speed of a Vette. If I had the opportunity to blast on an open Nevada highway Im sure the car would never be under a 100!!!! When driving my daily driver ( an older Eldorado) or my wifes Durango I do drive somewhat more conservative.Time to hop in the 71 and lay some......:lou

Anthony

gmjunkie said:
If You Boy's in Colo. Have no Sheep,What do ya Have!! gmjunkie!!

American Bison!!!!!
And I always have this nagging fear that they will be loose when we're doing a high speed run across US 24 up around Wilkerson Pass. Could you imagine what 2000 pounds of buffalo would do to a vette????:(

Scott

Scottsredvette said:
Patrick, She's bringing up sheep, has she ever been to Colorado?? We need to steer her up to Wyoming------
Scott
Never been to Colorado or Wyoming. But I seem to remember some conversations about shipping some sheep to Colorado... :L
Are the sheep less sheepish in Wyoming?

MsSchroder said:
Never been to Colorado or Wyoming. But I seem to remember some conversations about shipping some sheep to Colorado... :L
Are the sheep less sheepish in Wyoming?

I have been led to believe that they are pretty darn friendly in a sheepish kind of way-----;)

Scott

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom