Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dual 4s in a Bucket

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
A friend asked me a while back if I wanted some dual 4bbl parts he had left over from a car I restored a long time ago. Of course I said yes. He had sold the car to another friend and then I was asked to finish the restoration. Part of that deal was to assemble a set of carbs from the 2 intakes and six carbs that he had. The car was a 245 horse so I grabbed the correct intake and the 245 carbs that were still assembled plus a box with another set of 245 carbs that were in pieces in case I needed parts. I didn't take another intake and a pair of 270 horse carbs that were partially disassembled with missing parts. After the restoration was complete I had a lot of extra parts that I was told to keep as part payment including the parts carbs. Now many years later, I was given the other intake and the 270 carbs. The intake turns out to be a "394" 1956 2nd design (in near perfect condition except for dirt and a little light surface corrosion) and the carbs are semi complete 270 carbs from 1958 to 1961 someplace. I haven't had time to investigate their numbers yet. I have enough WCFB parts to assemble both these 270 carbs and the 245 parts carbs into complete carbs. I'm somewhat disappointing that the intake turned out to be a '56 and not one I could match to either the 245 or the 270 carbs but, for the price, I can't complain. I can see a lot of WCFB rebuilding in my future. I have both of these sets of carbs plus the 1956 set that is now on my '59 and the correct '59 set that will be going back on the '59 before it goes back on the road. The plan is to have all of these carbs done and tested on my '59. Then sell off everything except for the correct '59 set to further finance my '59 project. I hope it works out that way. They don't look like much here but all of the castings are good with no stripped threads. The carbs were apart in that bucket and I just set them together on the intake for a picture.

Tom

Carbs3788b440-d203-4eba-83c6-1e9c341f773b.jpg

2x4's

We spoke about your '56 carbs years ago. I wouldn't expect you to remember. Never really forgot them. Now reading this post it dawned on me we may have come close to crossing paths in recent months. Did you attend the Auburn regional or the Heart of Ohio Chapter meet at Lally Chevrolet?

Yes, I helped judge the '58 - '60 class at Auburn. I posted some photos of the Auburn meet in the NCRS Correct forum.

I didn't get to the Heart of Ohio meet though.

Tom

You just rang another bell. I remember your picture post on the NCRS Board.

So close yet so far. I helped Richard Dunham do Mechanical on 59-60. IIRC they did the '58s on another day.

Dan

We did '58s on Fri and 59-60 on Saturday. It sure was a nice group of cars.

Tom

Just finished the Ontario Regional. Went very well. You may have seen the pictures on the Discussion Board. Could have used a couple more experienced judges.

I'll look for the pictures. For some reason I can't log on tonight.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom