Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Dual Exhaust Install Question

golfradict

Corvette
Silver 1981 Corvette with 23.5K miles Nov./2012
My 81 is bone stock, I really want a little more sound, so I'm thinking about removing the catalytic converter and installing true dual exhaust (not headers), (No problems getting inspections here) I want to stay with the factory mufflers also. My question is, will the computer adjust for this change? Thanks for any advice.

The computer will not know the difference. I'm running it the same way (about the same way) without any problems or computer codes.

Greetings Peter

I was always suspect of my original cat restricting the flow and hp of my 81. Wanted to put a dual exhaust but I was worried about spending the money for little increase in performance. To check to see if i would gain anything, I removed the cat and poked a huge hole in it. Instantly the car seemed to pull a lot harder in the higher rev ranges. I am lucky enough to live near a dragstrip so I brought it the next weekend. Car went from 16.1 to 15.3. Eight tenth increase from banging the cat with a BFH. Best afternoon I spent in a long time. I bet your car will wake up a lot. But,while the sound got a little throatier it did not change the sound much. If you are really looking for sound think about flowmaster 40 mufflers

The 81 computer regulates the A/F mixture by monitoring the o2 sensor and modifies the mixture in the primaries only (normal driving). It will have no problem keeping up with a better breathing engine. When the secondaries open (3/4 throttle, drop in vacuum ) the computer backs off letting the primaries go rich and the secondaries operates like any other Qjet. The computer can deal with a better breathing engine with no problem. Only a bigger cam seems to bother it because the reduction in vacuum fools it into thinking the secondaries are opening early allowing the carb to go rich to early

I was always suspect of my original cat restricting the flow and hp of my 81. Wanted to put a dual exhaust but I was worried about spending the money for little increase in performance. To check to see if i would gain anything, I removed the cat and poked a huge hole in it. Instantly the car seemed to pull a lot harder in the higher rev ranges. I am lucky enough to live near a dragstrip so I brought it the next weekend. Car went from 16.1 to 15.3. Eight tenth increase from banging the cat with a BFH. Best afternoon I spent in a long time. I bet your car will wake up a lot. Good luck

The 81 computer regulates the A/F mixture by monitoring the o2 sensor and modifies the mixture in the primaries only (normal driving). It will have no problem keeping up with a better breathing engine. When the secondaries open (3/4 throttle, drop in vacuum ) the computer backs off letting the primaries go rich and the carb operates like any other Qjet. The computer can deal with a better breathing engine with no problem. Only a bigger cam bothers it because the reduction in vacuum fools it into thinking the secondaries are opening early allowing the carb to go rich to early

Great, sounds like a good-to-go deal to me, can't wait to hear the extra noise

Read my update about the sound!

Thanks for the valuable info Wajulia, if the sound isn't quite enough I will consider the flowmasters

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom