Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Duck..............................Incoming.

There was an article in an old Corvette News about him too, the movie "Corvette Summer" was even premiered there, I don't think the articles were as flattering after they found out where he was getting the parts.

Tom M

stepinwolf said:
I know I am walking on thin ice here, but I would like to make a few comments regarding some of the previous post's.

Bob,

You'll notice my ;) in my post about my visit to T.M.C.S. That was a "knowing" wink, if you know what I mean. :D

Ken Anderson said:
No, that was real HP @ the flywheel; 475 HP won't get 130 MPH in a 1/4 mile.

Prior to 1972, the factory HP was rated as "gross"; no accessories, mufflers, pumps, etc. After 1972, the standard was "net"; measured with accessories, pumps, mufflers, etc. Gross HP is roughly 20% higher than net HP. That is factory measured HP. Of course, you could have measured that output however you had it set up.

I was just trying to find some way to compare that to cars that I am familiar with. My Z06 (stock) runs 113MPH at 2600' elevation (commonly 6000' DA). At sea level, trap speeds of close to 120 MPH can be had. That is with 405 HP net. I would bet that you can get pretty close to 130 MPH with 475-500HP net. I have not plugged that into one of the weight-trap speed-HP calculators.

Forty years ago, Chevrolet released the first (L-78 396/425hp) in a long line of big block engines that, to me at least, were truly remarkable.

Yes, the early bottom ends were too weak for the engine's power, but Chevy learnt and improved as time went on.

Up through the L-72 (427/425hp), the L-71 (427/435hp), the L-88 (427/430hp ;LOL ), the ZL-1 (427/430hp ;LOL ) and the LS-6 (454/425hp), things steadily improved. Stronger bottom ends, better flowing heads, more use of aluminum.

It took how many years, how many tire design improvements, how many on-board computers, and how many millions of dollars to achieve similar performance results with today's small blocks?

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Imagine where we'd be today, if that much time, effort and money had been put into the ongoing development of the big block.

My ZZ-502, without computers, without injection (just an old-fashioned Holley carb) still carries the big block flag proud and very high. I can only imagine what the ZZ-572/620hp and the ZZ-572/720hp versions, (across the parts counter at your local Chevy dealer ;) ) must be like.

In no way is this a slam at the ZR-1 or the Z-06. This is simply a reminder that the big block lives and it's not hard to scare yourself and everyone else around you. :gap

67HEAVEN said:
Forty years ago, Chevrolet released the first (L-78 396/425hp) in a long line of big block engines that, to me at least, were truly remarkable.

Yes, the early bottom ends were too weak for the engine's power, but Chevy learnt and improved as time went on.

Up through the L-72 (427/425hp), the L-71 (427/435hp), the L-88 (427/430hp ;LOL ), the ZL-1 (427/430hp ;LOL ) and the LS-6 (454/425hp), things steadily improved. Stronger bottom ends, better flowing heads, more use of aluminum.

It took how many years, how many tire design improvements, how many on-board computers, and how many millions of dollars to achieve similar performance results with today's small blocks?

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Imagine where we'd be today, if that much time, effort and money had been put into the ongoing development of the big block.

My ZZ-502, without computers, without injection (just an old-fashioned Holley carb) still carries the big block flag proud and very high. I can only imagine what the ZZ-572/620hp and the ZZ-572/720hp versions, (across the parts counter at your local Chevy dealer ;) ) must be like.

In no way is this a slam at the ZR-1 or the Z-06. This is simply a reminder that the big block lives and it's not hard to scare yourself. :gap

Bob

I'am sure anything from the ol'e 427 and on up, is more then enough to get the hearts fluttering, of any of us old geezers, not to mention the 500 + ci versions. I am looking forward to scare some crap out of myself, once I get my own up and running.

BTW, I did not interpret the ;) ;) the same way you meant it, so I stand corrected.

Stepinwolf

67HEAVEN said:
I have some interesting T.M.C.S. articles that I may post some dark winter day. :D

Bob,

It's common knowledge, so when ever your ready,,,, it will make excellent reading :D

Stepinwolf

Corvette Racing - The Road to Immortrality

stepinwolf said:
Bob,

It's common knowledge, so when ever your ready,,,, it will make excellent reading :D

Stepinwolf

For those interested in a great account of how racing shaped the development of these years Corvettes, you might order the above DVD available from the NCM. Go to www.corvettemuseum.com and click on Corvette store, Corvette racing. All net proceeds go to NCM.

DRTH VTR said:
Prior to 1972, the factory HP was rated as "gross"; no accessories, mufflers, pumps, etc. After 1972, the standard was "net"; measured with accessories, pumps, mufflers, etc. Gross HP is roughly 20% higher than net HP. That is factory measured HP. Of course, you could have measured that output however you had it set up.

I was just trying to find some way to compare that to cars that I am familiar with. My Z06 (stock) runs 113MPH at 2600' elevation (commonly 6000' DA). At sea level, trap speeds of close to 120 MPH can be had. That is with 405 HP net. I would bet that you can get pretty close to 130 MPH with 475-500HP net. I have not plugged that into one of the weight-trap speed-HP calculators.

That was real HP we measured on a water brake dyno when we were racing and tuning these motors. To get to 130MPH in a 1/4 you will need 600 real horses, With modern slicks you can turn really good ET's but MPH = HP, not torque.

Tompy said:
For those interested in a great account of how racing shaped the development of these years Corvettes, you might order the above DVD available from the NCM. Go to www.corvettemuseum.com and click on Corvette store, Corvette racing. All net proceeds go to NCM.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tompy.

Welcome to :CAC

:w

67HEAVEN said:
Can anyone tell us the engine option code "intended" for this 1970 mule? ;)

Did you note the 1/4 mile numbers? Did you read that it's an automatic?

Hi Bob,

This year on June 17 at the FAST (factory appearing stock tire) drag races in Martin Michigan Wayne Nelson ran a 10.99 @ 127.85 in a 1969 L-88. This article can be found in many mags including the Nov 2005 issue of Super Chevy Vol. 34 No. 11 :_rock

These cars are very stock and use bias ply street tires that were available when the cars were new. Vindication is a lovely thing.

Best regards,
Gerry

Does anyone know if the car on EBay actually was paid for? Its one thing to get a bid on EBay and another thing to actually get paid.......anyone? Lots of crazy bids go down on EBay and are never paid for.....

wow

67HEAVEN said:
Bob,

You'll notice my ;) in my post about my visit to T.M.C.S. That was a "knowing" wink, if you know what I mean. :D

That's pretty funny- I am 29, so the only thing I know about them is the stories that are passed along- Never heard that one!! So a HOT massive pile of corvette parts eh? Never heard the slammer story either.....

This is simply a reminder that the big block lives and it's not hard to scare yourself and everyone else around you.

Funny you should mention that.......Took the 65Cp out for a spin last week end. And did just that......:L My neighbor across the street was out raking leaves as I pulled out of my drive way... He loves the sound of my car and stopped to watch me leave.

Heh ...I thought...I've got an audience....So I stepped down on the loud pedal. As I went sideways to the right..I knew I had given it just alittle to much but kept my foot into it...Then...as I went sideways to the Left..I thought..Ok...now straighten up... I managed to pull it together as the right rear tire went into his driveway entrance..and I cherped away into second and was gone.

I think I did what the above quote states...;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom