Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dumb question on exhaust systems

J

johneone

What is the difference between an axle back system and a cat back system, and which (in your opinion) is best?

Thanks

Welcome to the CAC :CAC

A "cat back" system is the exhaust pipes and mufflers from the catalytic converters to the back of the car. I suppose the "axle back" idea essentially means just mufflers. I have never heard the "axle back" term used, at least on C5's. I would also suggest that no real power gain is to be obtained from an exhaust swap. The stock system flows pretty well. If you want to change how it sounds, go for it, but don't expect any power gain.

Thanks

DRTH VTR said:
Welcome to the CAC :CAC

A "cat back" system is the exhaust pipes and mufflers from the catalytic converters to the back of the car. I suppose the "axle back" idea essentially means just mufflers. I have never heard the "axle back" term used, at least on C5's. I would also suggest that no real power gain is to be obtained from an exhaust swap. The stock system flows pretty well. If you want to change how it sounds, go for it, but don't expect any power gain.

You know that's what I guesssed - but it seemed too simple!. I am looking at a Magnaflow exhaust for my C6 and one is listed as "axle back only", that's the reason I was asking.

Good sound, good price?

I'm curious, I have a 2005 C6 coupe and I was wanting to put on some nice sounding pipes not to loud and not to over powering when going on a long trip and yet I don't want to spend alot of money, any suggestions on what I might get?
Thanks

I'm curious, I have a 2005 C6 coupe and I was wanting to put on some nice sounding pipes not to loud and not to over powering when going on a long trip and yet I don't want to spend alot of money, any suggestions on what I might get?
Thanks
I too have a Leman's Blue 06 vet and would like better sounding exhaust so if you come up with one let me know. Thanks

Joel

They have been calling the newer catback systems axle back because on the newer cars the cats are real close to the exhaust manifolds. Generally the exhaust seperates to go over the axles so the new kits start there. In addition the x or h pipe is usually replaced with high flow cats and that takes up the distance from the cat to the axle section. So, when you purchase an axle back, you are pretty much buying what we would call a catback in the old days. Unfortunately, we pay much more and get much less.

They have been calling the newer catback systems axle back because on the newer cars the cats are real close to the exhaust manifolds. Generally the exhaust seperates to go over the axles so the new kits start there. In addition the x or h pipe is usually replaced with high flow cats and that takes up the distance from the cat to the axle section. So, when you purchase an axle back, you are pretty much buying what we would call a catback in the old days. Unfortunately, we pay much more and get much less.

Thanks for that bit of information. It's just deciding on a system to go with. I would like to hear one on someones corvette before I buy.

Thanks Again,

Joel

Thanks

I think your best bet would be Flowmasters. They have a 4 tips one now and it is about $350 shipped to you. It gives the nice deep sound .

Hi Joel..I was on a vette aftermarket site a while back. You could shop for exhausts and hear them at idle and also accelerating from start. was very cool way to hear,albeit not in person.don`t rember what site,but shouldn`t be hard to find. hope that helps.

Dumb Question about Exhaust

In replacing your exhaust system there is no need to replace the crossover pipe which is common for a "cat back" system. The difference in performance from the stock "H" pipe to an "X" pipe on the C6 is almost nil.

Our KoolKat Cheetah Series mufflers are redesigned stock units that will give you that Corvette rumble missing in a factory stock system and WILL definitely increase your horsepower, as will most of the "free flowing" exhaust systems on the market. Our re-engineering of the stock system re-routes the exhaust flow inside the mufflers reducing back pressure and increasing horsepower. We produce a balanced, more aggressive system with the look of stock pipes.

Email me or call for more information.
Stephen Meli
KoolKat Enterprises
360.904.7186 or koolkatprez@comcast.net

Thanks
I was @ the local chevy parts counter today and the "GM performance exhaust" is $980.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom