Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! During radiator filling the level won't decrease

The conversation is half the enjoyment! :)

I really appreciate your help! I don't think I am as stupid as it may seem to some guys here :D One of the reasons I bought this car is that I want to know how EVERYTHING works, I want to work on it myself and I want to discuss those things with friends, who I also consider all of you to be :) It's not that I don't understand and ask same things over and over, but I'm trying to run a logical and interesting discussion about this subject and I'm sure there will be other guys who will find help from this thread. I mean, most of us are doing this as a hobby (including me), so let's keep it fun for everybody. I've felt a bit of sarcasm from a few people towards me regarding this topic, but I don't really get the reason.

:beer

Back to the topic now! When I disconnected the hose from the radiator while I checked the thermostat, it seemed like being of proper shape. I assume that also the straight hose could "save" its new form when it has been sitting in the same position for months, but in my case it seems like the hose should be the proper shape for this set-up. I'll check it out if I happen to remove the hose for some reason. I think I should order the Ecklers proper hose anyway, cause it could make a difference. The hose on my Vette has a rather sharp edged curve in it while that Eckler's hose has only 90 deg curves.

I've tested the t-stat in hot water and it was working flawlessly. It's the 180 F t-stat. And because the rad hose becomes warm after warming up the engine for some time, I assume the t-stat is okay.

So, perhaps everything is okay? :D Even if it is, I think it's cool to discuss about this topic, just to learn why something is as it is.

I had a similar problem, is why I ask about the therostat. It also work fine in the hot water. I finally removed the thermstat and started the car. It restored the cirulation. The thermostat was bad, causing a restriction, I guess it was not opening all the way causing presure to build. Hope it helps. I did not intend a nasty remark if that is how you took it.

I had a similar problem, is why I ask about the therostat. It also work fine in the hot water. I finally removed the thermstat and started the car. It restored the cirulation. The thermostat was bad, causing a restriction, I guess it was not opening all the way causing presure to build. Hope it helps. I did not intend a nasty remark if that is how you took it.
Thanks. It might be worth checking. Although when I tested the t-stat, it seemed to open as far as it could go :) Good tip again, certainly a possibility.

You were indeed not the one who I meant, and I didn't take anyone's words seriously or anything. Just read some posts before and you'll understand. No offence though! I understand how I could piss somebody up with just too many similar questions, although for me they are all worth an answer :thumb

This is one of the nicer forums. Some of the corvette forums they can get nasty fast. They will answer your questions with do the search function with comments. Still they have some good info. Good luck.

This is one of the nicer forums. Some of the corvette forums they can get nasty fast. They will answer your questions with do the search function with comments. Still they have some good info. Good luck.
I was also told the same by a mate :D People here seem to be nice and friendly.

About the radiator hose... I checked today and in the last curve it makes before the radiator, it momentarily goes about half way thinner than the rest of the hose! I know that if the diameter of a hose is decreased, the pressure inside increases. For example, if you just let water flow through a garden hose which doesn't have a sprayer or sprinkler at the end, it usually comes at a rather low pressure. However, if you block the end of the hose with your finger or just press the hose somewhat together, the water starts spraying and flies a lot further away. Now I have no idea how this principle would work in a closed system like the cooling circuit, but I believe the thinner part of my radiator hose might have a part in this game.

I'll try to capture a photo of the hose this evening.

If I get a chance today, I too may grab and post a pick up my radiator hose up close. I think you can see the nib/dimple that I spoke of earlier. (not that it really matters at this point.)

Here are two photos showing the radiator hose shape that I've got. It certainly doesn't look like the proper hose and seems to be really forced into the last curve to fit to the radiator. Today I measured and it's diameter is squeezed together at least 50%.

radhoseshape_1.JPG

radhoseshape_2.JPG

I have now replaced the thermostat and put in a new hose and cut it so that it doesn't have any sharp corners or thinner areas. I have done 3 cold-to-warm engine runs now and while the hose got hard quickly after start-up with the old hose, now it stays pretty soft until the engine has ran about 3-5 minutes and then gets some more pressure, but never has gone as tough as it did before. Again, I must wait until Spring to test-drive it and warm the engine up some more.

Here's a photo of the radiator pipe I have. Where would you place the clamp? Or perhaps I should even put two clamps?

radpipe.jpg

Between the radiator and the ridge.
So you mean the closest to the radiator? The ring at the very end of the pipe seems to be much thicker than the one near the radiator, so I have the clamp placed there instead at the moment.

Does it really matter much? I guess the most important thing is to get it secured strong?

So you mean the closest to the radiator? The ring at the very end of the pipe seems to be much thicker than the one near the radiator, so I have the clamp placed there instead at the moment.

Does it really matter much? I guess the most important thing is to get it secured strong?

You made me take another look. I didn't even see the area within a 1/4 inch or so of the radiator. It's been a while since I had a hose off a radiator so someone else will need to speak up.

My recollection is that the hose normally butts up to the radiator and the clamp goes over the "ring" and clamps on the stem.

I don't recall ever seeing one that steps like this one does. Normally it is the same size all the way to the radiator like on the bottom of this one.
bci-61009_w.jpg

There appears to be very little "ring" where the hose was originally clamped to. Without that ring, you will have a hard time clamping the clamp down and getting it to stay. The current clamp position appears correct.

If the hose is not supposed to go all the way over the larger inner ring and there is no change in the diamater of the hose at that end, its possible that the hose diameter is too big.

now i understand why it blow off, never seen one like that either. i would think it would go on the thinner part of the neck but to be safe i would just put two on it.

now i understand why it blow off, never seen one like that either. i would think it would go on the thinner part of the neck but to be safe i would just put two on it.
It seems like the best thing to do. I really must find out what's the brand of this radiator. Right now I think it could be one of the Rockauto.com 3rd party brands, since that's the place where most of our US parts retailers order stuff. This one seems to be a possibility if looking at the photo: SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU717.

Yes it does make sense now. The clamp should go on the first part. If you put it on the second part (which has a larger diameter), there is nothing to prevent the hose from being slid off under pressure. If you put the clamp in the first section(which is smaller in diameter), there is the lip which anchors the hose from sliding off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom