Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dynoed the Z on Saturday

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
Dynoed the Z on Saturday.....[video]

Well, I've been waiting to this for a while now and went ahead and dynoed my Z last weekend. The car has 24,500 miles with Watson headers, flowmaster cat-back, chip, and a K&N air filter.
My first run, the car pulled 330.4hp at the wheels. I wasn't to happy about this run because it feels stronger than that. However, my second pull was better coming in at 342.1hp at the wheels. Getting better........
342 was a decent figure but we noticed my car runs very rich. My second pull the car ran a bit leaner which helped the hp improvement.
My next step is to have my chip recalibrated to run a more lean mixture. Hopefully I'll hit somwehere in the low 350's at the wheels. Overall, it was a pretty fun day.

here's the link http://www.digicat.org/~biz/ForumVideos/Cars/Dyno/jayZr1.mpg

Jay

Cool! Jay, if you can, scan in a copy of the dynochart from your car and put up in the Dyno Runs forum.

I thought that car had 385 out of the box. Is that the 15% loss to the drivetrain I've heard so much about?

Drewser,
My numbers are including the loss to the drivetrain. Bone stock the early LT-5's put out 375 horsepower

Jay

Dynamite! I think that having a mpeg pulling serious RWHP on the site adds class. I may have to 'pinch' the idea when I go full-scale. :upthumbs

Dyno Numbers??!!

Hi Jay,

Let me bring up that different dynos made by different manufacturers can produce different RWHP. We have experienced this quite often over the last 15 years. It is also not uncommon to have different numbers from two dynos from the same manufacturer when one is an older unit and the other is relatively new. Differences can be seen by as much as 4%-8%. As to the different manufacturers themselves, I have seen a Callaway TT come in at 355 rwhp (about right before conversion) on one and dyno again an hour later under the same conditions hit the 385 rwhp on another dyno.

May I suggest that you just use the dyno as a basic guide point of reference to start from and as a monitor to see your improvements when they are done. I would not be too worried about the final numbers. The key is the performance!

Conversion factors:

6sp ZF..............................15%
4sp-Overdrive..................16%
700R auto........................17%
Turbo 400 auto................16%

This according to GM technicial department

Good luck,

Stan

Re: Dyno Numbers??!!

Stan A said:
May I suggest that you just use the dyno as a basic guide point of reference to start from and as a monitor to see your improvements when they are done. I would not be too worried about the final numbers. The key is the performance!

Well stated Stan, thanks for the information

Jay

JT:

If you have the stock chip, have a new one burned; I recommend Mark Randolph in TX. You should be close to 360 with your mods and as hard as it may be for you to believe, a custom chip could give you that much extra power. His cal, after a 15 minutes time lapse on the same dyno gave me 13rwhp PEAK(SAE corrected) and as much as 25rwhp and rwt in the mid range! I'm sure somebody has his email but I can't seem to find it

I've heard of Marc Randolph. I'm going to look him up and see what he can do. Thanks for the info Brian

Jay

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom