Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

E-Brake

jimbil208

Corvette
1982 collectors edition
Can anyone tell me about how far the cable should travel(where it connects onto the brake shoe arm)on a properly adjusted brake.

My E-Brake wasn't working,the arm that pull the shoes was rusted solid. I cleaned them and adjusted the brake pads.

Tighting them and then backing off 8 notches and the cable moves but only a short way.

Thanks, Jim PS. 1982

you'll never know how far away they are as you can't see them...
however when ever I do drum brakes I adjust them with a slight drag.
e.g. wheel spinning free with shoes just starting to contact the drum.

Can anyone tell me about how far the cable should travel(where it connects onto the brake shoe arm)on a properly adjusted brake.

My E-Brake wasn't working,the arm that pull the shoes was rusted solid. I cleaned them and adjusted the brake pads.

Tighting them and then backing off 8 notches and the cable moves but only a short way.

Thanks, Jim PS. 1982

The shop manual calls for backing off the starwheel (10) notches, and that's done with the cable slack; after making the starwheel adjustment, then you can make the cable adjustment at the equalizer.

:beer

My e-brake also stinks which i really need since my car is a 4 speed. When i adjust e brake i do like was stated above spin the wheel adjust the star wheel till i feel a little drag. I was reading an article yesterday talking about a design flaw with adjust e-brake on a c 3 because of the preload put on the car when you lift it which is what you do to adjust the darn thing. So when i replace my radiator tomorrow i will lift the car and put dead man jacks under the rear control arm and try to do the adjustment with preload off. i will post if this helped any.

My e-brake also stinks which i really need since my car is a 4 speed. When i adjust e brake i do like was stated above spin the wheel adjust the star wheel till i feel a little drag. I was reading an article yesterday talking about a design flaw with adjust e-brake on a c 3 because of the preload put on the car when you lift it which is what you do to adjust the darn thing. So when i replace my radiator tomorrow i will lift the car and put dead man jacks under the rear control arm and try to do the adjustment with preload off. i will post if this helped any.

If you pulled down on your emergency brake cable while pulling the e-brake handle you apply the max brake availale. You adjust the emergency brake shoes from the star adjuster at the bottom of the inner brake but the E brake is applied from the top. See the star expands the lower part of the shoe to make contact with the drum. Adjusting the TOP by tightning the cable brings the upper part of the shoe into contact with the drum

If you pulled down on your emergency brake cable while pulling the e-brake handle you apply the max brake availale. You adjust the emergency brake shoes from the star adjuster at the bottom of the inner brake but the E brake is applied from the top. See the star expands the lower part of the shoe to make contact with the drum. Adjusting the TOP by tightning the cable brings the upper part of the shoe into contact with the drum

I did not get my ebrake adjusted this weekend. The radiator install burned me out, was more of a PITA than i was expecting. Next saturday i will adjust the ebrake and do a wheel bearing repack.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom